Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the ignition switch in my spider how do I do it and does any one have the wiring diagram for it

Ian

·
Administrator
16,645 Posts
What model year Spider?

On the S3's: remove the plastic column cover. The bolt that attaches the switch to the column is a 'security' bolt. Originally it had a hex head that snapped off when tightened - leaving what looks like the head of a carriage bolt. Carefully cut a slot into the head (a dremel type tool works well) and use a screwdriver to undo it.

You can replace it with a standard bolt unless you are afraid a thief will carefully take apart the column to access the switch...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Ian,

Do you have an Alfa shop near you? I know this may sound odd, but more than once I have seen keys from one Spider fit another. Shops often have a vast number of keys that they have accumulated over the years...

Best regards,

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Point of note: there was a change mid-run to the ignition switches in the S3 series.

The early version was the 'short barrel' which could be lighted or unlighted, the later was a 'long barrel' which for the most part was a lighted switch.

Both switches will fit and can be made to work in both cars, however the barrel length difference means that the steering column clamshell may or may not cover the switch properly. (long barrel in a early clamshell will stick out, short barrel in a later clamshell won't even come out to the edge)

There is also a wiring difference between the two in regard to the plug connections and the actual number of wires on the switch proper. (one version has three wires, the other has four)

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you use a cap screw (bolt) make sure you use one that the treaded shank is the same as the security screw that came out. Too long and it will lock the steering wheel plunger in the cylinder and will not tighten dowm properly

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
I have removed ignition switches from S2 spiders and GTV's, but now I want to remove the one from my 82 spider and I cannot find a security bolt. I was planning to wait until I pulled the steering box but is there something that I am missing?
Ed Prytherch
74 GTV
79 Spider
82 Spider parts car
88 Milano Verde

1 - 9 of 9 Posts