Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to set the toe in on a 60 Giulietta spider.

Do you pop them off the car or is there a method to accurately measure in place?
Factory alignment instructions call for unequal lengths, right rod 5mm shorter.
Some instruction call for equal lengths. Can somebody who has tried either/both methods explain reason for the difference?
This is a LHD car in LHD roads, if it makes a difference.

Thank you.

Roberto

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
center to centre.. some tie rod ends have a little nipple on the back side. measure from there i set mine up = on both sides, then adjust toe on each side,, turning the centre link will turn the steering wheel of centre. so leave the centre link alone.. works on my car 84( ish ) spider

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Bianchi. I don't have nipples, and that makes me sad...

I have the R from TRW in the cap. I'll fashion something.

So you measure them in place and don't have to pop them out?

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
just clean them really good.. find the centres of the rod ends,, mark them with a red sharpy dot , if you want after that, get a punch and tap a mark onto them. you don't have to pop them off to do this,, just be carefull under the car..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Bianchi. Found out the cap on the underside of my TRW joints was 20mm dia. So I measured to the lip of the cap using an old compass with a beam bar and added the 10mm. Like you said, was able to do this under the car and not have to pop anything off. My right rod was right at 5mm shorter than the driver's side and the rods were at the smallest limit, so it was good.

Amazing how small a turn it takes to add the 1.5mm toe.

Regards,

Roberto

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
WHY 5mm Shorter???

Any one understand why Alfa specified 5mm shorter tie rod on right side? My rods are about 271, 550 & 269 (left, center & right) I want to make them equal but wonder if there was some logic to the 5mm shorter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts