Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - I asked over the GT section if the Spider and GT spare tire wells are the same (I think they are) but if I may I have a related question here. On the assumption they are the same I need to remove a good spare tire well from an otherwise not good Spider, any tips or coaching on how best to do that? would you cut around the lip? OR - are there spot welds that can be removed and that allows it to lift out?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
21,818 Posts
Drill out the spot welds. If you sand/grind lightly first with something flat it more readily shows where they are.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drill out the spot welds. If you sand/grind lightly first with something flat it more readily shows where they are.
Andrew
OK - assuming they are spaced around the lip in somewhat even intervals?

·
Premium Member
21,818 Posts
Reasonbly. I don't think it was machine-done, I think a guy with a spot welder did it by eye, so they aren't absolutely even. Again, some light sanding will reveal the spots. After you've got them all drilled, some gentle persuasion with a sharp, thin metal chisel can help. But be very aware that the chisel will find the easiest way, which if the weld is still holding, will cut through the sheetmetal before you even realize it.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But be very aware that the chisel will find the easiest way, which if the weld is still holding, will cut through the sheetmetal before you even realize it.

Andrew
Good point, thanks.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
I drilled every spot welds using a special bit for that. I had to remove (cut) the battery tray on my Spider and to weld it back over the new spare tire well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Greetings all,

If your messing with spot welds, then you must have one of these. Sold by the Eastwood company, and made by Blair. Also called a rotabroach cutter. This tool is fast, easy, and gives excellent results.

Jonathan

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts