Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing the engine mounts on my '69 spider while its down for a SPICA change-out. Passenger side went O.K. Driver's side not so good.
First thing I notice is that the forward-most nut that attaches the mount to the block was missing. I soon found out why - some PO could not get on it to tighten the nut, and neither can I.

So I try to pull the oil filter housing off the block to give more room, and find the rear bolt on it is just as bad to get to. Tried offset box wrenches. racheting wrenches, crow's foot wrenches. etc. Cannot get on it. Pat Braden recommends pulling this filter housing to change the filter in his book. What am I missing ?`
Cheers,

JJB

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I have never changed the motor mounts with the engine in the car. But with the engine out and on a nice eye level surface... it still is a miserable job!

I believe I used a 1/4" drive socket with a universal offset. I think I have also used a combo wrench ground down for greater clearance.

The one thing smart I did on my rebuilds relative to this and other hard to reach nuts is to clean the threads and match a nut so that the nut will spin on with my fingers. At least then I only need fight with the last couple of revolutions... This is a great case for using a remote oil filter adapter!

BTW, you do know that the oil bracket nuts are 14mm...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rich.....

Yea, I know the nuts are 14 mm since I can get on the front one O.K. I can just barely slip a shallow socket on the rear one by barely holding it with two fingertips and all sort of contortions, but there's no room to fit the rachet drive or to swing it at all. Can't find a combo of extensions, swivels, etc. that works, but I haven't tried something as small as 1/4 in. tools. Maybe they're small enough to do it.....
The interference and lack of access to these two nuts (rear one on the filter housing and front one on engine mount) makes this a miserable job - you're right.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
finally got them !
These were the most difficult to remove fasteners I have ever come up against.
The winning combo was inserting a racheting box wrench, other-end-first, behind the exhaust manifold, then carefully maneuvering the rachet end onto the rear nut of the oil filter housing. Comes off one click at a time with the wrench.
You'll need to see a chiropractor afterwards....!

Cheers
Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts