Alfa Romeo Forums banner

How do capture records of the work on your car?

• Computer - special software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mobile/Tablet - text document or spreadsheet

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed two things recently.

1) when you look up a listing on something like BAT there's often a description of what the current owner has done on the vehicle and when that was done.
2) As I do more work on my Alfa I'm identifying that I need a someplace to keep tabs on what I did/tried/replaced/worked.

I figured I'd ask this community for their experience. It kinda breaks down to two questions really.
  1. How do you capture what you do on/with your car? When you're writing down/typing in/photographing what you're doing. Do you do it in real time as you're doing it? At the end of a "session"? When you remember to write it down sometime? Other trigger?
  2. How do you manage that information? Does it go into a system? Is it loose or organized? Digital, Analog, mixture?

Also, figured I'd try the new "Poll" function on the BB too. As folks put their responses in, if it looks like I need to update the poll I'll try to do that. I'm also allowing answers to be public as I didn't figure this needed to be anonymous. Open to thoughts if that should be changed.

Looking forward to seeing how everyone does this! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start b/c it's my question.

I keep a notebook and pen in the garage that I jot down notes and results as I go. Sometimes I'm really good at it, sometimes I totally space and come back days later and say "What did I do again?"

I also take lots of photos/video with my mobile phone.

I keep a journal on my computer that sometimes this all gets into in some coherent summary, but that is less frequent then I'd like it to.

I store reciepts like book marks in my mechanic's manual, but that's going to need to change b/c I'm getting more "bookmarks" then book.

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
Excel spreadsheet, one tab for each car.

Reactions: Lantheaume

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have started reassembly of 2L and sure glad that I started a running dialogue (with myself) on MS Word with photos of critical steps (printed out). Assemblies such as intake manifold and Spica pump were stored in plastic bins (labeled) offsite (never enough room in the garage.

·
Administrator
14,455 Posts
For my 156v6 I have a notebook in the glove box. For the 1750GTV restoration, here ... which is a bit of a worry if it ever disappears :eek:

Pete

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Any particular format? Just "date" and "details" or do you get more elaborate?

Have started reassembly of 2L and sure glad that I started a running dialogue (with myself) on MS Word with photos of critical steps (printed out).
So you make basically hand made manuals as a plan for that work? Great idea - especially for detailed work. I'm learning that making a plan is really key. I tried a few "figure it out as I go" and the planned attack (after researching here) is always better.

Assemblies such as intake manifold and Spica pump were stored in plastic bins (labeled) offsite (never enough room in the garage.
Do you manage your offsite inventory in anyway? A note in your word doc? Just by memory? If it ain't here, it's there? :)
For the 1750GTV restoration, here ... which is a bit of a worry if it ever disappears
That's where this thread came from for me. I'm putting just about ALL my notes & thoughts here on AlfaBB. Been super helpful to share and communicate with the community - but if I lose access or the platform goes down I'm SOL.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
I just keep the receipts in a pile essentially. See my spider thread for the tally on a rebuild , depressing when I added it all up!!!

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
I use an app called Car Care for the everyday maintenance and fuel consumption then once a year or so, transfer maintenance performed to a little notebook that I keep in my home office.

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
I don't. So when the wife ask how much is in it. I can honestly say. A couple of hundred.

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't. So when the wife ask how much is in it. I can honestly say. A couple of hundred.
There could always be two columns for finances one for me and one for "reporting" :)

---
Another thing I'm noticing as I try to keep on top of all the little tasks and projects is the things to investigate or to be on the task list.

There's straightforward (or apparently so) things like replace a cracked interior part that is (hopefully) a simple swap, but I'm finding that being this car is new to me I'm generating many "look into that sound/smell/behavior".

As I'm trying to build my system I'm figuring I'll need not only tracking of what I did and when (cost of parts optional), but also the "what's next on the list?"

Anyone have a process for that?

The notebook in the garage for tracking what I've done has been the most reliable system so far (and I'm planning on entering that into a spreadsheet in the off months) but if I put the "to investigate" in a notebook I'd kinda lose track of what I noticed, what's recurring and what was one time, etc... could be wrong and haven't tried it yet, but that's my expectation. Love to know how others manage the growing task list, especially when the car is still in lots of things to fix stage.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,601 Posts
You just need to do it like Al Capone and have two sets of books.

I've got a spreadsheet for each car tracking maintenance & mileage. I also went through a few months ago and made a spreadsheet of all my spare parts and where they're located.

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
You just need to do it like Al Capone and have two sets of books.
Nope. Thats the only thing he was convicted of. :)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I used to note down everything I did to my Alfa on white paper, by hand.: work, parts, source, cost, date, km. This was a continuation of a file the previous owner of my previous GTV gave me. With my current one, I got nothing with the car; I started building a file like the previous one, then gave up. At this stage, it will be quicker to list what I haven't done over 12 years.

·
Registered
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce
80 Posts
Every car I have gets a new little notebook that lives in the glove box and then goes with the car when it is sold.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Binder with all paper receipts inside it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts