Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my GTV6 a couple years ago i took it to Phil Mason in Santa Cruz to refresh the gearbox oil and give it a once over before i drove it south. He mentioned it having what he thought where Milano heads and that it was obvious to him that some work had been done to the top end- although not sure what exactly because he didn't get to deep into it.. I'm trying to come up with a baseline for service and trying to wrap my head around how old the valve train is or head gasket etc. the car has 156k but runs like a scalded cat- idles great- no weird noises- it feels like a fresh energetic motor if you know what i mean. Anyway- after I got the car I put my head down to get thru the first couple years of raising twins and now I'm finally coming up for air and find myself in the garage staring at this beautiful car and wondering about it's past. I have lots of records dating back to 91- many of the big ticket items have been done and it clearly had a loving 1st owner who maintained it well- I bought it from the 2nd owner who didn't have it long and there is no record of a top end rebuild in the service history. Anyway to tell if I have Milano heads? And if I do - what does that mean? Are they better in some way? There was something about this sender that he mentioned....

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
The main service stuff to worry about with regards to the heads is changing the timing belt/tensioner every 30K or 5 years, spark plugs every 30K, and valve clearance check every 15 or 30K.

I agree it would be nice to know what was done to the heads and or engine, but from a maintenance standpoint that doesn't really affect anything. If the head gaskets or valve guide seals go, you'll know it: nothing to do on those unless something bad happens.

If you're really concerned about engine condition you can check compression and leakdown, but if it's running well and passing smog I'd just not worry about it and enjoy driving it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts