Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall a service to take the bumpers to, they take out small dents and maybe patch rips?

Does this ring a bell?
Robert

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Contact the best body shop in your town. They should have contact with bumper repair places, either in your large town, or a mail order bumber repair place elsewhere. In the days of chrome plated steel bumpers, almost every town of any size had such businesses to straighten and rechrome the old style bumbers. One of these old timey shops should be able to rework your stainless steel bumbers.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. Called a dozen bumper places. Seems all bumpers are plastic on top of Styrofoam.

Went to a chrome place and they wanted $400. For that price I can get new ones from Centerline.

I need names of trusted non-rip-of places

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
Hmmm. Called a dozen bumper places. Seems all bumpers are plastic on top of Styrofoam.
Yea, that's what a bumper is today: plastic on top of Styrofoam. I suspect those "bumper shops" just do cosmetic repairs; anything major happens and you just recycle the plastic.

As others have written, you need an old time metal worker. Might be someone who works in a place called a "body shop" might be someone in a "polishing shop". You will probably do better locating the right craftsman by asking your local network there in Portland, than by asking the world-wide audience of the BB. It may well cost $400 - it takes a lot of hours to do this work well, and these guys don't work for minimum wage.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
For small dents, dings and scratches, you may want to consider the repair yourself. The GTV bumper pictured below was my first attempt at such a repair and it now resides on the rear of the GTV. A variety of ballpeen hammers, drifts of various sizes, different grits of sandpaper and polishes were all that were needed (well, and a fair bit of time too).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,002 Posts
GTV bumper pictured below was my first attempt at such a repair and it now resides on the rear of the GTV.
That is impressive!

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts