Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 spider and I need to remove the 3 vent holder in the dash that also surrounds the radio. Is it difficult to do?

Bob

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Msiert comes to mind as someone who's played around with that stuff sorta recently~ish.

From the late S3 book, which is likely very simular as its the same dash, the actual nozzle pieces are just popped in from the front, then when they and the radio/blanking plate are out of the way, the facia comes off after going in through the glovebox and uncoupling the ductwork from the back side of the nozzle ports.

Looks to be just a friction fit once everything is out of the road.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,110 Posts
It's pretty easy but it's not a friction fit.

-Remove the radio with DIN removal tools (or bent coat hanger pieces in the holes)

-Reach in through the radio hole. On the top side of the opening there are three tabs in the vent holder piece that attach it to the dashboard frame. Pull gently down on these to release them while pulling the vent holder forwards

-There's also a metal clip behind the center vent hole. It should just release when you pull the vent assembly out, or you can reach in through the center vent to try to bend it down with a finger. When you snap everything back into place, you need to bend this piece down a bit so it clears the dash opening, then reach in and bend it back up when the vent's fully in place. It's tough to explain but pretty easy to figure it out once you see it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'll give 'er a shot this weekend.............Bob

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
On the top side of the opening there are three tabs in the vent holder piece that attach it to the dashboard frame. Pull gently down on these to release them while pulling the vent holder forwards

-There's also a metal clip behind the center vent hole. It should just release when you pull the vent assembly out, or you can reach in through the center vent to try to bend it down with a finger
I think you pull up on those tabs, very gently, not down.

Here are a few pictures of the metal clip and the tabs. Pictures always help me.

Be careful of those little, old, plastic tabs. As you can see, 2 of mine were broken.

Good luck.

Vin

metal clip.jpg

tabs.jpg

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,110 Posts
I think you pull up on those tabs, very gently, not down.
That's because you have your top picture upside down, man :D

See how the notch in the tab is on the upper side? That's where it locks into the bar above. When it's right side up, you reach in through the radio housing and pull the tabs down to release.

Gently is right...they're easy to break.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
That's because you have your top picture upside down, man :D
Now that is funny! :D

You are right, pull down gently.

:D

Vin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts