Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1977 spider to rebuild.
I want to be sure of the engine model and any other facts that could help me locate parts.
In the drivers door the plate reads built 7/76, and ID# 3050031, under the hood a plate reads Type 11502.
On the rear is "INIEZIONE" which I gather means fuel injected.
I plan to remove and sell all the fuel injection parts and install Webbers, along with the dozens of other repairs.

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
Welcome alfakeith.

I'd need to confirm this (on the home computer) but off the top of my head, your Spider is the 31st model type 11502 example built for the 1977 model year. The engine type number, located on the left side bellhousing flange under the #4 exhaust pipe, should be AR01629. INIEZIONE does indeed mean injection. To find out the actual build date and other neat stuff, just send an email with the chassis number to [email protected] .

Is there a problem with the Spica injection that has you planning to convert to Webers?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reponse.
I'll look for that number and email the address provided.
I do not know if anything is wrong with the SPICA, the guy I bought it from said it ran for him.
But it sat for four years.
I just thought it would be simplier to keep running with Webbers
Welcome alfakeith.

I'd need to confirm this (on the home computer) but off the top of my head, your Spider is the 31st model type 11502 example built for the 1977 model year. The engine type number, located on the left side bellhousing flange under the #4 exhaust pipe, should be AR01629. INIEZIONE does indeed mean injection. To find out the actual build date and other neat stuff, just send an email with the chassis number to [email protected] .

Is there a problem with the Spica injection that has you planning to convert to Webers?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Keith -
Welcome to the bb -
Don't know where you are located, but many of us SPICA-owners (regardless of location) have come to discover that you set 'em and leave 'em. And they are pretty foolproof (if you don't mess with them) as opposed to the money spent to convert to Webers. Even the cost of sending the SPICA to Ingram Enterprises and having Wes (well, actually Herb) do a rebuild is considerably less than the conversion to carbs. That said - you pay your $$ and you take your choice. IE is close to where I live and Wes and Herb are good friends, so I'll stick with the SPICA, thank you very much.
Even without the rebuild, you will find there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum that will help you along as you learn about these very special cars. :D
Again...Welcome - (Oh, and by the way ---- WE LIKE PICTURES!!!:eek:)

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
How Do I ID My Spider?

Gordy has stated it pretty clearly, both Webers and SPICA cost money, there are those who are more comfortable with one over the other. Pat preferred Webers, wrote about them, and Weberized my 73 Berlina. He was not as comfortable working with SPICA. He'd rather balance carbs and replace jets until he got the desired effect.

On the other hand Joe, another well-known Alfisti, is much more comfortable with SPICA and has written a lot about it; for him it's simple: you set it, and it runs. He admired Pat's ability to work with Webers and Pat respected his ability to make SPICA perform flawlessly. Having said that, Joe has been known to rebuild carburetors in rest stop turn-outs on the way back from Amelia Island with his SZ. Pat would do that as a last resort, but not when he had other options. A difference in perspective and personality -- but not necessarily skill or knowledge. They're both very capable.

Having said that, Wes and Herb are very highly respected in their industry as well as working with SPICA and they actively support and participate in NWARC activities.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts