Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to refurb the in side of my glove box on my s2 spider, any ideas what the best product is to get an original black finish? Im not sure if its a crinkle finish paint? appreciate any help...

·
Administrator
16,396 Posts
Was it a crinkle paint or a felt looking finish?

If a crinkle paint they are available in spray cans. Practice a bit first as the amount of crinkle depends on how thick you apply the paint and the temperature while drying.

If it is a felt sort of finish, try a search for jewelry box interiors. I've seen kits that include a paint into which one dusts short felt type fibers into the wet paint.

Or, even better - wait for someone who knows because I am just guessing...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.. just looking at it now and it looks like a felt finish? Its starting to come away in places so as I am in the middle of a dash change I was going to try and restore it. Thats a good shout on the jewellery box... I will have a quick search..

Was it a crinkle paint or a felt looking finish?

If a crinkle paint they are available in spray cans. Practice a bit first as the amount of crinkle depends on how thick you apply the paint and the temperature while drying.

If it is a felt sort of finish, try a search for jewelry box interiors. I've seen kits that include a paint into which one dusts short felt type fibers into the wet paint.

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
Look into "flocking".

You can buy the material and applicator online.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had pretty good luck flocking the inside of my Porsche's center console, kind of a cool process.

Basically you coat the surface to be flocked with glue, 'puff' an excess of the flocking powder onto the surface and then shake off the excess flock. You'll need glue, powder and a tool to dispense the flock. Mine is a simple cardboard tube within a tube with holes in the end but you can also buy fancy ones that work a bit like a powder coater.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks... I've had a look at a few you tube clips and it is as you described... I've just ordered a kit from eBay so I will give my glove box a go!

I had pretty good luck flocking the inside of my Porsche's center console, kind of a cool process.

Basically you coat the surface to be flocked with glue, 'puff' an excess of the flocking powder onto the surface and then shake off the excess flock. You'll need glue, powder and a tool to dispense the flock. Mine is a simple cardboard tube within a tube with holes in the end but you can also buy fancy ones that work a bit like a powder coater.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Chris... Looks like a good company.... I've bought a kit from eBay:confused: for £22 so plan on giving it a go using a youtube clip as a guide...:frown2: If it fails I now know where to send it...:wink2: I will update the thread with my results...

Banbury Flocking Services ? Banbury Flocking Services They have a good reputation for special finishes and coatings.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My one bit of advice is to be shy neither with the glue nor the flock when you apply it. You can reuse whatever excess doesn't stick so no reason for precision, just go flocking crazy :)

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
flocking

"Wheeler Dealer" has an episode on a resto of a n A M C Pacer. That airing shows the process succinctly. It might be an aide

1 - 11 of 11 Posts