Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi BB Members,

As luck may have it, my A/C went on the blitz again. This time, it is the Blower motor. It was working well and then started blowing slower and slower. Now, it keeps blowing the 20Amp fuse under the dashboard, and has trouble starting up or spinning every time I replace the fuse. So I assume I will need to replace or repair the motor, but I have no clue on how to dismount the part. Could one of you tell me how to dismount the thing? Thanks...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have not found any way to do this properly with out removing the evaporator and fan as a unit. After it is on the bench it is fairly easy.
Be sure to have new part in hand before starting as these blowers are starting to become difficult to find. Also a good time to clean the coils of the evaporator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, but how does the evaporator unit come off? Do I need to take apart the whole dashboard?

You are right about the blower being difficult to find. I have not located one yet, and if the one I have is shot, I might need to consider the possibility of replacing it with a non-Alfa one. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well...no, the whole dash doesn't have to come out. But, every thing below it does. The blower is attached to a case that also contains the evaporator coil.
The molded housing extends across to the drivers side and center vents which attach to the housing with flex hoses.

Discharge the A/C, remove the center console and the knee bolster(s). The setup changes from year to year. I also remove the glovebox to better access the hose connectors located behind the unit.

After finding and removing the fastners that hold the unit to the dash, it will drop down enough to allow some access to the connectors and fittings.
Pay attention to the routing of hoses, wires, ect.

If your car is 86 or newer you will also have to remove the radio to gain access to the vent tubes that supply (limited) flow to the center vents.

Once the unit is out, its just a matter of replacing the blower unit which is screwed to the back of the molded housing.

The A/C systems for these cars are not "factory" they were installed at the port of entry (Jacksonville). Most if not all were made by Beher (sp?). The replacement parts were supplied by Alfa dealers. I found a new one recently, but not sure if they are still available. I am wondering if the motor could be rebuilt by a local electric motor rebuilder?

Anyway, good luck. The Alfa interiors are a little tricky. Almost seem as though they were assembled as an afterthought. Now that I think about it...
Since the car is pretty much the same since... what, 71? I guess most of it is.

Hope this helps.
ELM

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
assembled as an afterthought
You got needle things to tell you whats going on.
You got a steering wheel, pedals gearshift and P-brake to get all touchy feely with.
You got a seat with a cushion and straps to keep you in it.

My God man, what more do you need, cupholders? :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
You got needle things to tell you whats going on.
You got a steering wheel, pedals gearshift and P-brake to get all touchy feely with.
You got a seat with a cushion and straps to keep you in it.

My God man, what more do you need, cupholders? :D
Cupholders????....That would be a NOVEL idea..(running for the patent office)

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
www.yellowpages.com look up electric motors within the area of your zip. There are shops all over the place in HVAC that have small, big, odd shaped, etc... motors. Take them your old one and they'll be able to hook you with something not the same, but will work just fine. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just passing along some info and observations gained during 20+ years of working on these cars.

The point being...the early spiders were not fitted with A/C, knee bolsters, or even carpet.

If you were to take a 71 and compare it to a 93 you would see that the basic layout hasn't changed. Everything that has been added to the interior has been done without a major redesign.

And, in my opinion all of these changes seem to be an "afterthought".
The interior of the spiders has always been a work in progress.

I think that this is where the appeal of these cars lies.
The design of the drivetrain, body, and interior was good enough to last for 30+ years ( the origins of the drivetrain go back even further).

Having worked on Alfas for such a long time I never realized how much I really liked the cars. To many hours spent trying to reassemble the interior after a heater change or dash replacement or A/C blower replacement or worst of all, some dumbass radio or alarm installer who butchered the interior and wiring harness.

I spent two days of last week driving my 85 Grad through the N. Georgia mountains. There is nothing that compares to driving a open top sports car on a warm summer evening. Even one that has a "afterthought" interior.

Well... riding my Moto Guzzi compares but It doesn't have cup holders.

ELM

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much for your guidance! I wish there wewre pictures to go along with the instructions, but I think I can tackle the job with your notes...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts