Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I'm not sure it was covered but the first step is to remove the canister entirely. It makes the task more manageable and in the end less overall effort than working in the blind with the unit still in the car.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I'm not sure it was covered but the first step is to remove the canister entirely. It makes the task more manageable and in the end less overall effort than working in the blind with the unit still in the car.
Absolutely.

And there are fuel hoses there likely needing replacement.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Not sure if it's mentioned in the linked thread, but nowadays I always disconnect the battery first. There is a hot lug to the starter rather close by, and these days I'm far less reckless than I once was.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Not sure if it's mentioned in the linked thread, but nowadays I always disconnect the battery first. There is a hot lug to the starter rather close by, and these days I'm far less reckless than I once was.
You know, you touched upon a point that needs to be made.

Battery cut-off switches and fire extinguishers handy in our beloved cars.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally found the time to get it done, thank you for your guidance!

I also replaced the fuel lines to and from the filter to the SPICA; anything else I should do while it's opened up there (bearing in mind, I am yet to turn the key)? Some SPICA stuff?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
The rubber fuel lines on the other side of the filter canister should be examined, too, between the end of the hard lines coming from the tank and the filter.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The fuel inlet line at the rear of the pump. Pour some Marvel Mystery Oil in there while you have the opportunity

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
No, it's been sat about 20 years in a SoCal garage.
I'm referring to the fitting at the Spica pump. Rearmost.

The rubber line from the filter to that fitting on the pump. Fill it up with MMO. Have you spun the engine over at all?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
AFTER loading the pump fuel inlet with MMO, turn the engine over BY HAND using the front pulley bolt. Spark plugs removed.

Put a coupla table spoons of MMO in each cylinder also. You can do that now and let it soak.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts