Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,535 Posts
I installed mine using Aluminum rivets (originally brass hollow rivets were used)

. fines 017.jpg

I made an extension to fit between the nose of the rivet gun and the rivet head.

fines 022.jpg

After pulling up the rivet (gently and before fully pulling it up - do not break the stem off). Knock out the stem and on the tail end of the stem, install a beveled washer so that when the rivet is gently pulled up the tail of the rivet swages outward. To flatten the tail end flat, use a washer in place of the beveled one and complete the pulling till it flattens the end. Do this carefully so as not to split the rubber. The rivet may split...but so be it as long as it holds.

fines 019.jpg

fines 032.jpg

Here are the bits you need to fabricate.

fines 034.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 1/8 x 1/8 and 1/8 x 3/8 rivets. Will either of these work? Should I drill out the old rivets with a 1/8" drill bit? How did you make the extension? This is good stuff. Thanks for your detailed instructions. Most helpful!!!
Thanks
Ken
 

·
But Mad North-Northwest
Joined
·
10,478 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,535 Posts
I don't recall the rivet size. But you can carefully and slowly drill off the existing rivet head just deep enough so that the head of the rivet falls off....don't drill all the way through. You can then remove the existing rubber piece...and then punch out the existing rivet (sounds like 3/32" is the size of that). The extension piece I made on my mini lathe by machining off the head of a brass screw and opening up a center hole of the same size as the stem of the pop rivet.
 

·
But Mad North-Northwest
Joined
·
10,478 Posts
Yeah, you just need something tube shaped as an extension. I used an appropriately sized spring pin and just cut it to the required length.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos and description 1750GT. Totally by coincidence I just was facing this on my car and followed your method today and it worked it a treat. Fantastic. For the "extension" referenced above I used a spare bit of brake line that I cut down to size, about 1/4" long worked well.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top