Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months ago my head cracked on my 1982 Alfa Romeo spider one crack on the exhaust side caused lots of white smoke to pour out.

So I went searching for a new one, and found one for $900 in Canada. It just arrived today, and to my bitter dissapointment the head seems to have 2 cracks in it.

Ugh.

So I'm wondering if it is possible to run a slightly cracked head? could my head gasket just failed bad enough to cause the smoke, or is there no getting around a cracked head?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The first 3 images are the new head and the last one is my old one.

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,392 Posts
I agree I would not use that head.

For whatever reason the 1982+ L-jetronic heads are far more likely to crack than the earlier heads. We see it all the time.

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
$900 for a used head? I bought a complete 1982 Spider with a good running engine for $600 a few years ago.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have looked everywhere for a head and the lowest price I found before the 900 was 1500, with no cams and not surfaced.

Where are all the good heads?

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Is there a reason these cant be welded? Ive been quoted very reasonable sums to have Porsche 912 heads welded up by the spark plug holes where they often crack.

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
They can be welded but the cost of a good job is more than the cost of a head unless it is a race prepped head with a lot of work in it.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I was thinking cost of welding might be more like cost of shipping your next used (and not guaranteed uncracked or unwarped deck) core. Okay maybe thats slightly wishful thinking but while you're at the machine shop you can get it hot tanked (alum safe) and checked for flatness. I believe I was quoted a hundred or two for welding up two 912 heads aka 4 spark plug cracks. I suspect this is something on which you could get a big range in pricing, but in the Porsche world its not unheard of to get a full 912 head job with valves, studs, seats, ultrasonic cleaning, welding etc parts n labor for under a grand - IF you pick the right shop. I used Anchor Atlantic in NJ... not sure if they do any non Porsche jobs and for sure I've gotten higher quotes from other outfits. Sky's the limit. Ask around.

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
A head weighs 45 lb, packed for shipping. Depends where you are shipping to but an average cost is $40.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Is there a reason these cant be welded? Ive been quoted very reasonable sums to have Porsche 912 heads welded up by the spark plug holes where they often crack.
Alfa(water cooled) Porsche(air cooled), all things considered, warpage, water passages, I would find a good used, add a good valve job and move ahead. just my .02

1 - 13 of 13 Posts