Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use this .... Redline water wetter coolant additive?? Good/Bad?????:cool:

·
Premium Member
22,971 Posts
When I used to race folks used it. I believe it make the water cling better to the engine materials, giving better heat transfer. I never tried it myself.
Andrew

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,610 Posts
I've tried it as a "might-as-well". Didn't really notice much of a difference. If you look at the data they publish it doesn't really do much for temps with a 50-50 coolant mix: I'd assume most coolants already include surfactants to improve wetting. It's really designed for race cars running pure water, I think.

Note that it can react with some coolants to form a black goo that can make you think you blew a head gasket. Ask me how I know this.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tom:
you can do the same with a drop dish washing liquid (lots of surfactants in there) in water. But cannot recommend it for anti-freeze systems.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I might consider it if I had an overheating problem, but once my engine is up on temp, the gauge needle stays at high noon 175F regardless of ambient temperature or how hard I drive. Aren't all of our GTVs like that?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking more of lubricant and anti corrosion

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,610 Posts
Water pumps don't need lubrication, and one of the points of coolant is its anticorrosion properties. So, no, you wouldn't need water wetter for either of those purposes in a street car.

Straight water can create a corrosive environment and water wetter claims it can help prevent corrosion there, but you should only be running straight water if you're racing.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback

1 - 9 of 9 Posts