Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted a Giulia sedan and I'll soon have space for one, so I've been doing a little shopping around here and there. I've seen this car on eBay for what seems like quite some time and I'm curious why it hasn't sold. I'm not quite in the market yet, just doing research now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-ALFA-ROMEO-GIULIA-SUPER-1-6-BISCIONE-VINTAGE-SEDAN_W0QQitemZ280132207446QQihZ018QQcategoryZ5356QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any thoughts? Don't want to step on any toes here in case the owner is in this forum.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:confused:maybe too high a starting bid?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
it's just not an original car....It should not have the Nuova front, for starters....and what about the Berlina tail lights? I am no Giulia expert, but makes you wonder what else is lurking....not good with a $7500 starting bid

·
Premium Member
21,347 Posts
The car is kind of scary, with acknowledge paint issues, a Nuova grille and bumpers on a pre-Nuova car, and Berlina taillights. The seller is also not real good at explanations or communication. A friend was very interested to go look at the car and didn't get to first base with the seller. Maybe somewhat clueless?

It might be an OK car, but it's not one I'd buy without seeing it in the flesh, except at a killer bargain price, which $7,500 is not. This is its third of fourth time on ebay, right? with basically no changes to the posting, which is not a good way to encourage the bidding or trust process.

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
That Biscone on ebay

The fact that the front grille and bumpers have been replaced IS a red flag. You probably wouldn't do this just for the sake of customizing the car - a more logical explanation would be that the original parts were destroyed in an accident.

Also, from the pictures on ebay (reproduced below), the hood doesn't align well with the fender on the right side, again indicating prior damage.

It could be an OK car, but like all cars on ebay, buying it without an in-person inspection would be risky.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, thanks for the responses everyone.

I wondered if adding the Nuova front end was a common modification... seems it isn't (I can see why it wouldn't be popular).

If that was a less questionable car, would the $7500 price be reasonable?

·
Premium Member
21,347 Posts
No, pasting the Nuova items on is not typically done. It probably was done, as guessed, as what was available to fix crash repair, or (god forbid) maybe somebody liked them better than the pre-Nuova stuff. That might explain the Berlina taillights too.

If the car is reasonably solid and works well, this is to me not an unreasonable price.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andrew,

Thanks. I'm just beginning the search now... not entirely sure if I'll buy a sedan or another Spider or something entirely different, but I'm doing some information gathering.

Are Nuovas desirable at all?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I desire to add one to my stable, but I guess that does not make it desirable:D;)
I do think they are very desirable cars though, that will see an increase in value

·
Premium Member
21,347 Posts
I'd say of the many Giulia sedan variants, Nuovas are the least desirable, due to the styling changes that killed some of the funky appeal. Still, when looking for a Giulia, in most parts of the world you can't be very choosy, and condition is generally the primary consideration.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see. Do you guys remember the red '78 Nuova that was at the Carlisle (Penn.) show in May and on eBay a few weeks ago? Apparently the winning bidder is in Canada (car is in the US) and is waffling on actually purchasing it. Any thoughts on that car?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I seem to remember this exact same car being discussed in another thread a little while ago but can't recall the title of the thread:(. The main question raised in the previous thread was about it being a genuine biscione and the general opinion was that it was a "bitsa" (bitsa this n bitsa that). Note the door cards that dont match the seats, the already mentioned tail-lights and front end parts....
If it is as solid as claimed and has original paint:rolleyes: then it could be worth a look as a project to be returned back to how it was when built.
Andrew, Is the colour correct/period for the type/model it claims to be?

·
Premium Member
21,347 Posts
Alas, we didn't get Nuovas here in the US and I don't have much specific info on them, so I can't be certain. We didn't get any Super after 1967. The color looks more or less like beige cava, which I have seen on Supers. I don't think the car is a complete bitsa, but I do think there has been some swapping of components.

The tipo plate shows it as a 105.26, and the VIN the seller sent me was AR*1863302, which didn't match up with anything that made sense; perhaps it is 863302? It's easy enough to swap around Giulia sedan components (I once moved an entire Super running gear, interim, and trim to a TI shell), so I think there may not be any deception involved, just expediency in keeping a car on the road over the years. I'm willing to believe the seats are the right ones, though I'd expect Alfa to offer dark tan with beige cava, not red, but who knows. The door cards were probably replaced with whatever was at hand when the original ones disintegrated.

All pointing to the need to see this car in person, if you're interested, to see what's going on.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I see. Do you guys remember the red '78 Nuova that was at the Carlisle (Penn.) show in May and on eBay a few weeks ago? Apparently the winning bidder is in Canada (car is in the US) and is waffling on actually purchasing it. Any thoughts on that car?

I remember looking briefly at a red Nuova at the Carlisle Import show in May. I remember thinking at the time that it seemed priced about right but wasn't interested enough to track down the owner. I don't remember what was being asked for it at that time though. Do you have a link for when it was on ebay? Pics might jog my memory a bit.

The current ebay car might not be bad if it's solid and straight. Figure between $300-$600 to put the grill and tail lights right, depending on how patient you are. I think a fellow BB member just put a set of euro tail lights on ebay.

Bill Sinclair

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks. I'm just beginning the search now... not entirely sure if I'll buy a sedan or another Spider or something entirely different

QUOTE]

I'd go with a sedan. I had a Spider for 5 years and slowly got pulled into the sedan side of the house.

I think either you go low-end dollar-wise and try to bring it back into good shape or just go high end for an already restored vehicle. Either way it may cost some $$$, but you can always drive the low-end car as you work on bringing it back into shape.

The eBay one seems kind of pricey for a car with possible accident issues that should be brought back to original, paint work done, interior cleaned-up/replaced, etc.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
My mother used to have a '70 or '71 Biscione back in 95 or 96 and that car was AR1895812. I think Alfa started to use the 7-digit VIN on 105.26 around 69 or 70 (this happened bit earlier for some other models, e.g. GT1300Jr) so the VIN the seller provided is indeed valid, and judging from the fact that the car has hanging B/C pedals, I am pretty sure that the car "used to be" a late '68 or '69 Biscione and yes, beige cava was available for the model (and I agree with your opinion on the interior color).

Alas, we didn't get Nuovas here in the US and I don't have much specific info on them, so I can't be certain. We didn't get any Super after 1967. The color looks more or less like beige cava, which I have seen on Supers. I don't think the car is a complete bitsa, but I do think there has been some swapping of components.

The tipo plate shows it as a 105.26, and the VIN the seller sent me was AR*1863302, which didn't match up with anything that made sense; perhaps it is 863302? It's easy enough to swap around Giulia sedan components (I once moved an entire Super running gear, interim, and trim to a TI shell), so I think there may not be any deception involved, just expediency in keeping a car on the road over the years. I'm willing to believe the seats are the right ones, though I'd expect Alfa to offer dark tan with beige cava, not red, but who knows. The door cards were probably replaced with whatever was at hand when the original ones disintegrated.

All pointing to the need to see this car in person, if you're interested, to see what's going on.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
The Carlisle car... here it is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-Super-Nuova-1-6-Dual-carb_W0QQitemZ150131343367QQihZ005QQcategoryZ5356QQcmdZViewItem

The oil leak concerns me, obviously. But there's something sort of appealing about a '78 car.
From what I remember of the red Nuova at Carlisle it looked a little on the unkempt side but with plenty of potential. I wish I could tell you more. I didn't crawl under the car since I knew I wasn't going to buy it. I'm sure you've noticed that the bidding went from $2500 to $4300 between just two bidders. It's hard to say whether that second bidder could have gotten the car for less than $3K if the bidder who now seems to be backing out hadn't been there. Even so, between 3 & $4K seems like a pretty good buy for a driver. I agree with Andrew that a lot of the funky factor that existed in the early Supers was designed out of the Nuova. I would put them just slightly higher in value than a Berlina of similar condition. All of them desirable cars worth owning but not equal in value.

Bill

1 - 20 of 23 Posts