Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My S4 manual is taking longer to warm up than it used to and the heater is very erratic.
At low revs, heater on full, the air is hardly warmed. At 4,000 rpm plus the air flow is hot, as it should be.

I have taken the thermostat out and tested it in cold and hot water. It opens OK but never seems to close fully. Should the disc actually seal off the hole that it should sit in? This one doesn't and you can see light around the edge even after a stint in the freezer.

Would a dodgy thermostat affect the heater?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,601 Posts
Should close fully. Sounds like it's bad.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Dodgy thermostat sounds like the bloody problem. Change it out and give it a go. New thermostat is relatively cheap.

Why are you worried about heat in the Alfa with this summer heat? Fancy a cup-a?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL.
Why are you worried about heat in the Alfa with this summer heat? Fancy a cup-a?
I just wanted a nice warm beer ;)

Actually, the radiator has been out for replacement of the front crankshaft oil seal and I was concerned that it hadn't been re-filled properly or bled. And I've been doing the decent thing and taking She Who Must Be Obeyed out for a drive (so I can justify the amount of time I spend on the car), and she likes a bit of warmth on her feet!

Thanks for the quick responses both.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
The S4 is self bleeding so that won't be the prob.
Thermostat should close so change it (it is one piece unit set in the top casting with a straight casting outlet pipe for the injected car, not the one with the slightly upwards angled spout! FYI - about 17 quid at EB spares: http://www.ebspares.co.uk/alfa105/cooling.cfm)
looks like this
Thermostat Alfa Spider 115 Einspritzer | eBay
not this (!)
Thermostat Alfa Spider, Bertone 2,0 Vergaser | eBay

If that doesn't get the heater hot then next step is the heater valve under the dash (a P.I.T.A*** to change:))

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks SS4.

I'm hoping that the heater valve won't need changing but I will definitely change the T-Stat - 10 minutes in the freezer compartment of the fridge and it still didnt close!

The Alfaholics and CalssicAlfa sites show an S4 replacement which includes the cover with its spout but this doesn't have a sealing ring like the original so it has to have a gasket.
The EB spares link you sent shows one which includes "housing with seal" so that looks the better option. Well spotted!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts