Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have an Alfa Romeo Spider with Top manual.

how here are many users, one know put this top to open and close electric!

You Know This?

Post here.

I like this idea!!!!

Regards from Venezuela

Add: MY ALFA SPIDER IS 1982

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
The Alfa folding top is remarkable, especially for its origin: It's the only top of its day that could open and close with one hand from the driver's seat. With the Toneau cover, it takes a bit more to get that cover off. But I've never seen one electric. Too many joints - probably need several servos, and timing would be a b**ch.

Robert

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i think the same,, but.. the manual top is the past,, on the present all is electrical.. so.. why dont install some electric for a personal car? I think too that 1 person least, have her top electric, and I like picture for all members..

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Too many joints - probably need several servos, and timing would be a b**ch.

That or a REALLY stout high torque motor with cable and pulley drive affixed to the frame mount at the B~pillar to roll the top up or down.
Or at least that seems to be the best point I can think of to have a drive work from.

You're right though, as easy as it is to raise/lower the thing manually, it seems kind of defeatist to try and power it, unless mabe you're a chick who worries about broken fingernails or something :D

Still, I'd be interested in at least seeing some schematics or even pix of functional conversions on a spider. You know, just for curiosities sake.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
yes i think the same,, but.. the manual top is the past,, on the present all is electrical.. so.. why dont install some electric for a personal car?
Heck, why not carry that a bit further and go with a powered hard top that folds into the trunk a'la the old Ford Fairlane as that technique is still used in modern designs isn't it? (BMW mabe?)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heck, why not carry that a bit further and go with a powered hard top that folds into the trunk a'la the old Ford Fairlane as that technique is still used in modern designs isn't it? (BMW mabe?)
not is for hard tops.. i understand your point, but is not of this topic.

·
Registered
what part?
10,113 Posts
... lots and lots and lots of money:)

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
The hard top of my Duetto would need a trailer to fit in the trunk! Waaaay to big for even the Duetto's trunk!

For electric, I think you would need to get a fully mechanized top - perhaps from a BMW 1 or 3 series? and modify that to fit the Alfa. If you look at all the modern electric or hydraulic ones, the mechanisms are very different. You need arms for the levers for each folding segment, etc. The Miata is about the same size, bujt it too is hand operated. Toyota Solara?

The Alfa top links only work by pulling on the lead edge; I just tried pushing from the b-pilar pivot, but the linkage at the two top segments jamb - the lead one needs to be pulled.

Robert

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
it would probably cost too much and would remove the nostalgia from the car not to mention something else to break down on the car.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I use my "Italian-Mechanic-in-the-trunk"

He's been a little pissy lately, too cold here in Washington D.C. and not enough vino.

heheheh
KKKKFL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts