Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 164S is running perfectly, it looks great, it needs nothing, there isn't a single thing I want to change or upgrade.
Italian cars have souls. They feel. They can sense when they're being ignored.

How can I show her I'm not taking her for granted?

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
Keep it clean, and take it out on a fav winding road for a good gear shifting run now and then. Don't beat it or push it too hard, but caress the shifting smoothly through the turns, smoothly accelerating and braking as in a ballet, then ease it back home to rest for another "love session", lol.

That's what I do, just have a sweet and smooth but rapid "Alfa" dance on my fav winding roads, enjoying the responses of the car, hopefully sending good vibes to the creature, echoing a little of the passion Italian car creators have been famous for.

I know, sounds corny, but at least it is fun to think that way a little, while in a smooth fun run, for no reason except to enjoy it. Sometimes I put on "Radar Love" on the stereo, and as the song winds down, I ease off the drive to drift/coast back toward the home base, as with a horse after a nice fast run, letting it cool down.

Seems to have worked (for the most part) for over a million miles of Alfa driving. If the car acts up now and then, well, have you ever been married...?

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
11 bucks a gallon here, she "gets it". ciao, jc

·
Premium Member
27,013 Posts
I drove my 164S today to do my usual Thursday events to men's club meeting, commissary and base exchange. Managed to let the horses out for nice run through the gears.

I drove my 164L Sunday morning to the F1 breakfast so both black beauties got their exercise this week.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Or find a very long straight and let her rip up to 125 mph or so and enjoy how smooth and planted she is. When I worked between San Diego and Phoenix I would love to do a quick run on the 101 loop in Phoenix and just fly on the freeway when it was empty. Granted I wouldn't hold the speed for more than a minute or so since I didn't want to get arrested :) It was fun though.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nowhere on the East Coast you can safely do that sort of speed, methinks. Virginia where I live is notoriously tough on speeders, 20+ over will get you a reckless driving citation that costs big bucks, a court date and can even get you jail time. Plus the traffic around here is nonstop 24/7, there's no such thing as open road anywhere within 50 miles of Washington DC.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Maybe a Stebro exhaust? Sounds great. One thing I do miss on my current 164 is a sunroof, how I miss shooting a firearm out of it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Maybe a Stebro exhaust?"

The intent of my post was not to find ways to spend big $$ on a car that needs nothing :)

I don't have any spare cash, with one kid in college and two more coming up.....

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
give it a massage....ciao, jc

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
"Maybe a Stebro exhaust?"

The intent of my post was not to find ways to spend big $$ on a car that needs nothing :)

I don't have any spare cash, with one kid in college and two more coming up.....
I was referring to the exhaust in the video. Sorry I didn't clarify :)

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Love those phone dial rims. Mine had rims from a Celica but i liked them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Thanks Dave! They both look great.

Did the Alfetta go through a full resto, or was it always a garaged, no road salt car?

AlfaTango, is a celica 5x98 bolt pattern, or are there wobblies on there?

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
That was/is one of my favorite colors an the GTV. Very nice fleet you have there!!! ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
27,013 Posts
That was/is one of my favorite colors an the GTV. Very nice fleet you have there!!! ciao, chris
That cream/creme colored Alfetta GTV looks just like the 79 Alfetta GTV my son drug home in the mid 80s. It was the first Alfa we ever had in the family as we had been doing Fiats and Lancias before during and after that.

He found it on a cul de sac near our house. Somebody had stolen the special spica three port fuel pump so the car was just left to die a slow death. He bought it and it lived on for many years. It ended up at his friends and he let it rust away to nothing (bad steel in that body).

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Alfetta was originally a California car (you can find it on Bring A Trailer), bought by stefmiesterb (his dad, actually, I think) maybe a couple of years ago and brought to Connecticut to join a few other Alfettas. I purchased it from them this July and drove it down to Virginia. It seems to have been (very nicely) repainted once, in the factory Ivory color. I've had to do some work to it, mainly mechanical stuff, but it's in really nice shape. No rust to speak of.

I don't have any history of what the original California owner did to the car in his ~33 years with it, but I believe it was more of a "maintained" car than "restored".

1 - 20 of 28 Posts