Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently brought my first 1986 Alfa Romeo Graduate. The car runs great, except for one thing......The gas smell. I was wondering if someone in the forum have had the same problem before with their alfa's and what they did to fix it. The only thing I have done so far was checking to see if there were any gas tank or hose leaks, but none were found. I think the gas smell is due to the trunk carpet (the one piece that goes across the trunk) that is missing. Any advise is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
AlfaCali said:
Hi,

I recently brought my first 1986 Alfa Romeo Graduate. The car runs great, except for one thing......The gas smell. I was wondering if someone in the forum have had the same problem before with their alfa's and what they did to fix it. The only thing I have done so far was checking to see if there were any gas tank or hose leaks, but none were found. I think the gas smell is due to the trunk carpet (the one piece that goes across the trunk) that is missing. Any advise is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Srub the trunk out with vinegar and baking soda, thatn use carpet fresh or similar. Replaced the hoses and clamps anyway. They rot over time from the inside out. Check the fuel pump and filter. Either buy the proper carpeting or get something similar at a carpet remnants store...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Not sure about an '86, but my '77 has some sort of vapor return line that runs from the engine compartment, through the interior under the carpet along the passenger side, and back to the fuel filler neck.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
If the gas smell is coming from the trunk I would seal the trunk from the passenger compartment the gas smell my be an annoyance but carbon monoxide can build up to dangerous levels with the top up. Also follow the sugestions above the solve the gas smell issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts