Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning, I hope everyone had a good weekend. I'm going to be harvesting parts off a 74 spider for use on my Stepnose GT project. Among the parts that I'm going to harvest include front and rear brake calipers. They're in good shape on the donor car and to help contain contain costs I'd like to reuse these. My guess is it'll be about a year from when they're removed from the donor car before they go back in the service on the GT.

So, what would you counsel on how to prepare and store them to sit on the shelf for a year.

Edit - I had intended to post this on the Spider forum, can't see to figure out how to delete or move it. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
21,711 Posts
Bag them up as airtightly as possible and keep in a place where they won't be subject to cold/hot, thus condensation. Or leave them installed, with no air in the system, if possible?

Andrew

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys, thanks for the responses. The donor car does have to get the heck out of the garage, so unfortunately I don't have leaving the system intact. I was planning on harvesting the brake piping and axle as well, so that has to come off.

Would flushing and filling with Dot5 be an option? I'll duck for cover now...

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Don't know where you live but if you have a lot of temp and humidity changes how about super big zip lock bags with silica gel packs? Where I'm at I'd just leave them on the shelf.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know where you live but if you have a lot of temp and humidity changes how about super big zip lock bags with silica gel packs? Where I'm at I'd just leave them on the shelf.
I'm in SoCal as well.

I supposed if I try that and it doesn't work I'm no worse off than having to rebuild or replace them anyway...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts