Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all, I'm a new guy and i dont' actually own an alfa, but please don't run away just yet! The guy up the street does own an alfa (3 of them) and he's getting older and isn't working on them anymore.

I've had my eye on one, i think its a Guilia sprint, but i'm not sure of the year. it used to run, i remember seeing him drive it when i was younger.

i've had this fantasy of buying it from him, and semi restoring it to drivable condition, however it does have a few rust issues (really? never!) i snapped a few pictures of the car, and the rust. some things dont' look so bad, some look very bad.

I'm not a bodywork expert and i've never restored a car before but i've helped friends here and there. Can you tell anything from these pictures or should i go get more?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
That one's going to be a challenge. Big money, and many years work. Where's the glass?
It's going to be way cheaper to find a better one with which to start a project. Cheaper still to buy it already done.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Welcome! Its a 66 or 67 which is a desirable model but I would recommend against buying it. It looks like a massive project with some structural rust issues. The sills (below the doors) are structural on these cars. A tough car to have as a first project. It would cost you alot to get this back on the road even if you were a panel guy. I am sure there are better project bases around at good prices but I'll leave that to the US guys to comment. You do have good taste though! So don't let that seed of desiring Alfa ownership die, spend a bit of time on this site and see what people are doing and what project cars pop up now and again.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
It will depend on how much he wants to sell it for! If he gives it to you even better.

The rust is similar to what we are encountering on our GTV. The panels are available from the UK suppliers and you are loking at about $1500 in panels to replace (not make some of them) them. You will need to learn to weld, which we are doiong with our resto. And you will need a decent MIG welder to weld in the new panels. I'm not bodywork capable so that will have to be farmed out for my project. The surface rust like on the trunk lid isn't that big of a deal unless it's rusted thru.

There are LOTS of rust rebuild threads here so take a tour around and see what has been done.

This is an excellent thread showing what has to be done to bring a GTV back from the dead....

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-restoration/85302-rusty-gtv-floorboards.html

Another big questions is if it runs or will run....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. how expensive is "very expensive"? I have some fabrication skills, and i have access to a welder and the willingness to learn. I haven't seriously talked to the guy about it yet so i dont' know what his idea of a fair price for the car is.

I just thought it would be very cool to take a car thats been sitting useless and turn it into something drivable again.

·
Registered
893 Posts
can be done, but will take you a couple of years (if you plan to do it in the evenings/weekends).

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. how expensive is "very expensive"? I have some fabrication skills, and i have access to a welder and the willingness to learn. I haven't seriously talked to the guy about it yet so i dont' know what his idea of a fair price for the car is.

I just thought it would be very cool to take a car thats been sitting useless and turn it into something drivable again.
at least 25k is my guess.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I've had my dealings with rust during the restoration of my Super, and I won't do it again. If I were you, I'd run away from this one, far away.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
The thing is- you need to understand that this is not a car that you are going to drive for at least the next three years.
If you enjoy doing bodywork and working on engines and doing upholstry work then this could be a lot of fun.
However if you are looking for a car to DRIVE, then you'll do much better to look for another.
I say this as a guy entering the second year of working on my 71 Spider which is in better shape than the car in the picture.
One way to get an idea of the scope of the project you're undertaking is to get an IAP , Vicks, or Centerline catalog and start making a list of the parts you'll absolutely HAVE to have.

That will give you a rough guesstimate to work from.

Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Run Jesse run. Jesse Owens. 1936 Olympics!

·
Super Moderator
11,670 Posts
Yea, it would be. But sadly, that car is just too far gone. If you can find a Sprint GT with a decent body, but perhaps some missing or crash damaged parts, your neighbor's car might make a good parts donor. That would be a project of reasonable scope that would accomplish your dream of "taking a car sitting useless & turn it into something drivable". But honestly, the shell in your photos is too rusted to salvage practically. If it were a Ferrari or Bugatti, then it might make sense. But not on a series-built Alfa.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you were lucky enough to get this car for free it would still be too expensive!

Its a pity it will likely never be restored, however nothing is impossible and there are guys right now working on cars not too dissimiliar to this one which one day will turn out great, its just going to be a very long and painfull road (but sometimes fun all the same)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts