Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Its only the spigot bush, fit a new one and all will be fine. Looks like someone has damaged it when knocking it in last time ?

Steve

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
If you have a steel shaft that is a close fit in the bushing do the following: pump a good amount of grease into the bushing. Push the shaft into the bushing then drive it in with a big hammer. The grease will get behind the bushing and force it out. I have a tool that is gentler. It screws into the open end of the bush and it has a grease nipple you pump grease in and the bushing comes out. The thread is tapered and it is a universal tool that you should be able to find at an online tool store. I can lend you mine if you cannot find one.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I would clean the internal threads for the flywheel bolts. If too much debris gets in there the torque readings will not be accurate. Good luck

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
If you have a steel shaft that is a close fit in the bushing...
I've done the same with a wooden dowel.

I would clean the internal threads for the flywheel bolts. If too much debris gets in there the torque readings will not be accurate.
Agree. Use a thread chaser or re-threading tap, not a cutting tap. A thread chaser/re-threader is designed to clean & straighten existing threads without cutting any metal. A cutting tap might inadvertantly remove some metal.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
You can also use a wooden dowel which is easy to turn down to the right diameter on a bench grinder or file down.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I have never installed one before, but it may be a good idea to keep the new bushing in the freezer overnight before installation. It is probably an interference (or near) fit. Shrinking the new bushing will allow for an easier install.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agree. Use a thread chaser or re-threading tap, not a cutting tap. A thread chaser/re-threader is designed to clean & straighten existing threads without cutting any metal. A cutting tap might inadvertantly remove some metal.
And that's what I'll also ask for. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Rather than buy that tap you will only use once (hopefully) you can clean the threads with a sharp O ring pick. Generally the old red locktite is what needs to be removed.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
too hard

It is possible the internal threads of the crankshaft are hardened and using a regular thread cutting tap will not damage them. I do not have an answer for this, but if I recall my days at the Chevy plant, all the machining was completed and then the cranks went in the furnace for surface hardening. That was 40+ years ago

·
Premium Member
21,715 Posts
They make a thread-in pilot bushing remover, tighten up on its pipe thread til it seals, pump full of grease on the provided nipple, eases out. There are also generic and Alfa-specific pilot bushing pullers.

Andrew

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BTW, NAPA was the only store that said, "Yeah, this cutting die is NOT what you want." Good for them! So that's where I bought the plastigauge. I hope to check that out on the journals tomorrow. Probably worthy of a new post if I have questions. Thank you all!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts