Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are all going through a difficult time. This community is here to help with problems we all go through. But this one is going to be
the worst for any of us . Those of us who are lucky enough to retired are able to limit our contact with others. The phone and the internet
help.

I have the Alfa in the garage that still needs some work, I have about 48 years of the "Alfa Romeo Owners Club" magazines to go through,
and there is always small projects around the house. Oh Yeah, and there's Netflix. ;)

So tell us, if your so inclined, how you are spending your time these days.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I'm hoarding Alfa parts. Just kidding, but not really . . . trying to stockpile enough stuff to get through the suspension rebuild currently in progress, in case things totally shut down. Right now Classic Alfa is still shipping to the US, but they say their supply chains from Germany are impacted.

·
Administrator
17,004 Posts
Fortunately I am retired so staying home is easy. And I am half Finnish so social distancing comes naturally. I was an ER nurse - so I advise everyone to understand why we must slow the spread of the virus. And wash your hands & stay home if you are ill.

I am hopeful we can take our MGA to Road Atlanta at the end of March - but I'll understand if it gets cancelled.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,497 Posts
I'm kind of wishing I'd saved that big steering box job for the next couple weeks when I'm stuck at home. I'm gonna run out of car projects.

·
Push hard and live
9,606 Posts
"run out of car projects"?????

You might need to reconsider your life planning and priorities.

Right now I have two Alfas in the heated shop, both moving along the refurbishment curve, with plenty of spare parts to keep me busy. Plus, a good DA with lots of polishing compounds.

Better yet, I've got the Mooney at the airport, filled up with 90 gallons of 100LL, giving me enough range, including reserves, to reach well into Mexico or Canada, depending upon how the latest episode of the zombie apocalypse started in November of 2016 develops. My wife speaks native espanol, and I do pretty well with Canadjian.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
I'm hoarding Alfa parts. Just kidding, but not really . . . trying to stockpile enough stuff to get through the suspension rebuild currently in progress, in case things totally shut down. Right now Classic Alfa is still shipping to the US, but they say their supply chains from Germany are impacted.
I've been hoarding Alfa parts for decades now. It provides a respectable cover for behavior, that would otherwise have landed me on "Hoarders 911" or some similarly titled "Reality TV" show.

Bye

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Was expecting an order from Classic Alfa yesterday, didn’t show up. DHL tracking says “Estimated delivery date unknown, try again later.” Fingers crossed, but international shipping may be shutting down.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
"run out of car projects"?????

You might need to reconsider your life planning and priorities.

Right now I have two Alfas in the heated shop, both moving along the refurbishment curve, with plenty of spare parts to keep me busy. Plus, a good DA with lots of polishing compounds.

Better yet, I've got the Mooney at the airport, filled up with 90 gallons of 100LL, giving me enough range, including reserves, to reach well into Mexico or Canada, depending upon how the latest episode of the zombie apocalypse started in November of 2016 develops. My wife speaks native espanol, and I do pretty well with Canadjian.
You might want check the news. The Canadian border is closed or about to be closed to American ( and every other nationality) tourists and shoppers and visa versa. For now it is still open for commerce. Maybe you still have options south.

The north American response is ramping up and changing hourly. SOS.

As to myself, I am staying home and keeping busy with Alfa stuff, putting the GTj back together and breaking to other hobbies from time to time and Netflix and her sisters. We are calling it social distancing here.

Keep well out there

Ken

·
Push hard and live
9,606 Posts
Might not have quite made my logistical capabilities clear....

whether headed into Canada or Mexico ( I favor the latter), I carry enough fuel to get well into the interior that the immigration officer, if there is one, would have to be awaken from a nap before I could hand him a gift of very fine Scotch. What might be happening at the border would be roughly two+ miles under me, and receding in the rear view mirror, if I had one, at 175 MPH.

·
Administrator
12,552 Posts
Well my company has sent us all home and we work from home from Monday until further notice. I'm lucky I'm in IT ... but will be interesting, maybe difficult?

I need to buy some more panel steel, but haven't been able to get to a shop to get some ... hopefully I can sneak out and they are still open

Unfortunately this working from home doesn't mean more time on the Alfa
Pete

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
It’ll take me the rest of a lifetime to run out of car projects.

While I hope this outbreak passes quickly, I do hope to get a project running, again. Or, possibly two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
448 Posts
What to do with all the toilet paper people are missin nowadays?
I use it to prevent pieces of the old head gasket falling into the block in the cleaning process.:
Clopapier.jpg

There is always something to do Alfa related.

Salutations from the Baltic Sea

Bernhard

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
So far it's business as usual. We currently have about 10 active Alfa projects. None of our clients have backed out and in fact some have offered to pay forward. We're either wearing gloves or washing our hands of some virus killing chemical so I guess we've got systemic protection...

OTOH, I'm not allowed to visit my sister who's just been placed in a memory care facility. I worry she's scared but then again maybe not remembering this mess is a blessing...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had to do some shopping yesterday. Ran into a friend (at a distance) He asked me if I had any toilet paper (no, sold out) . I told him (given the current market..) to use the "Wall Street Journal " :p

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
A friend in LA texted us that they have a good supply of reusable toilet paper.

·
Administrator
12,552 Posts
So far it's business as usual. We currently have about 10 active Alfa projects. None of our clients have backed out and in fact some have offered to pay forward. We're either wearing gloves or washing our hands of some virus killing chemical so I guess we've got systemic protection...

OTOH, I'm not allowed to visit my sister who's just been placed in a memory care facility. I worry she's scared but then again maybe not remembering this mess is a blessing...
Hope your sister is happy. That's all that really matters.

Best
Pete

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I may have announced the apocalypse prematurely. Another shipment from CA seems to be proceeding normally, and DHL is looking into the one that's gone missing. Should know more Monday.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts