Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sitting for God only knows how many years, I finally got my '74 Spider running pretty good and took it out for about a half hour drive. When I got home I noticed that all four wheel were very, very hot. More so towards the center hubs. I mean to hot to touch! I believe it must be the breaks but what's wrong with them is the question. They seem to work fine but the pedal doesn't feel like it's returning properly. Plan to take a look at everything but not sure what I should be looking for. Any ideas?

Kent

·
Super Moderator
12,037 Posts
Stuck pistons, bad master cylinder. Could be a lot of things. After many years, the brake fluid must be flushed!

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Gordon is not confused. This is excellent. We continue to make good progress, Gordon.

The brake fluid probably soaked up a ton of water, and the pistons have rusted in place in the calipers. The pistons will move out with pressure from the master cylinder but will not return correctly, keeping pressure on the rotors, and turning money into heat.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
I had to replace my Rubber Flex Lines. My Spider was sitting for 17 years and that's what fixed it.

·
Super Moderator
12,037 Posts
There you go! Not too bad for sitting all that time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took one caliper apart and indeed there was some surface rust on the pistons and cylinder walls. Good news, I think I caught it in time because they cleaned up nicely with a 3M fine pad. Shines like silver. Ordered new seals from IAP. Anything to watch out for during reassembly?

·
Administrator
17,519 Posts
Anything to watch out for during reassembly?
The pistons need to be installed with the cut out section correctly oriented. See IAP tech page for info and templates you can print out - glue them to cardboard then cut them out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks GHNL.
I noticed when I took the second caliper apart there was one small square cut o-ring where the calipers meet (the passages). This is the only one I've seen on the two front calipers I've taken apart. I'm sure they didn't fall out when I took them apart and I don't think the IAP kit has them. This is a mystery. Could it be that the calipers are machined smooth enough to not need them. The brakes did not leak. I know I should not use rubber but I don't know where I could get these. Going to the local hardware store tomorrow and try to find something that will fit unless someone could tell me where to get the correct ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts