Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this Alfetta Sport Sedan with ALL V-6 Milano running gear! Rumors of this car have been floating around the northwest for years. Very well swapped 2.5 V-6 engine complete with wiring, plumbing and the rest of the drivetrain. V-6 transaxle, driveline, brakes, torsion bars, suspension, hubs, uprights, wheels, etc. 105 front suspension ball joint and strengthening conversion. V-6 sway bars and mounts. Short shift linkage kit.

It started as a California car with no rust. The conversion was done in California and the car was used as a very fast V-6 daily driver in the bay area. Disassembled in 1994 for a bare metal repaint and custom interior conversion. Stainless berlina bumpers were modified to fit. The straight body was sealed and primed. Hood, sunroof and trunk lid painted in black Imron. Owner moved the car to Seattle to follow a job and that's where the project stopped.

This would make an awesome street resto-rod or a perfect start for a lightweight race sedan. It would be a BMW Pro 325 beater.

Car is now available in Bellevue, WA where it has been stored since 1994. All of the exterior trim is with the car. A complete stock sport sedan is available for all interior parts, glass (bronze) misc detail hardware, etc. if desired.

$1500

-Tom
(206) 601-0802

Attachments

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
What year is the chassis?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
It has to be pre-76 to avoid smog inspection in California. Looks like a no-brainer at this price. This would make a wicked daily driver

·
Registered
738 Posts
That car looks like it has fun written all over it!

I used to drive a sport sedan with a 2L and it was pretty dialed. If the suspension balance is set up right, could be a land missile.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oh, I want!

It looks like a pretty straightforward project, since the heavy lifting has been done. I would go for it, but when I'm working there's no time. And when I am off work I try to preserve the $$$. It doesn't look like it would be legal in California. The door handle openings, the taillight openings and the windshield cowl would show it to be either a '78 or '79. In any case this car sounds like a fine 116 chassis matched to a sublime V6. It looks like it will be a whole lot of fun.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Funny how all the responses so far are from the one state where this car cannot be simply registered.... Hey Texas, where are you?

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Why could it not be registered in California? I'm pretty sure a Bosch injected V6 can pass 1979 levels. The reason you don't see more conversions like this is because, as long as you can get past the looks, just buy a Milano.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Why could it not be registered in California? I'm pretty sure a Bosch injected V6 can pass 1979 levels. The reason you don't see more conversions like this is because, as long as you can get past the looks, just buy a Milano.
Bosch injection is not an issue as it may be clean enough to pass the sniffer, how about the visual? I believe the smog computers in Cali require to select an engine from a list of engines originally available for each make model year. It would be interesting to hear from a Cali smog tech address this issue.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'm not a smog tech, but I've done a lot of research into this:

As long as the 2.5L has the original EFI wired in, and a cat with an O2 sensor, then you can take the car to a referee station and they can approve the engine swap. But the engine MUST have the factory EFI and smog controls.

Then, they pop a sticker onto your door jamb that indicates the model year of the engine (in this case, 1987-1989), and your smog test will be re-calibrated to the later model year.

So--you have to jump through some hoops, but it should be possible.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
What about the smog pump, egr valve and the rest of the junk? It sounds like you would need stock smog set up in place and working...

·
Registered
927 Posts
Nope--reason being that the 1987-1989 cars did not come with a smog pump or egr valve. You just have to have the *entire* stock system from a 1987-1989 Milano--as long as the Bosch EFI and all stock emissions equipment are used, then it's a clean swap. Intake and exhaust plumbing are a grey area--you generally have to try to use the stock intake and exhaust, with some custom tubing and brackets to make everything fit.

Having said that, the referee has a great amount of leeway in what they approve. There are no strict guidelines, so it's all about how you come across and what kind of mood they are in. At minimum, they will tell you what you have to change to make it legal, so at least they give you a way out.

As I mentioned, the downside is that you are now held to the smog requirements of the new engine (1987-1989 levels). So, while it will work, it's a pretty big investment to gain about 35hp.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
The bi-annual inspection is the downside.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I am informed that one problem is that the California smog referees will not let you put a larger engine in a chassis than was originally approved, even with all the smog bits.

Clean out the tail pipe is just a small part of the problem.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Wow. Smog station referees that one must humbly approach to approve your engine swap. I've been all over this planet and this thread makes me so thankful I ended up in Alabama.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Wow. Smog station referees that one must humbly approach to approve your engine swap. I've been all over this planet and this thread makes me so thankful I ended up in Alabama.
Our only salvation comes in the forms of pre-76 cars. The only inspection these cars require is the VIN inspection, and only in case if the car isn't in the CA DMV computer system. Keep the car registered, renew registration by mail snd never see a DMV inspector or a smog station again! It is a small consolation, but at least its something...

Now back to this car. It's a great project. Any developments?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
So, could the original poster clarify:
- MY of chassis
- Is this running, moving under its own power, or are things just stuck in there?
- Is it CA titled, are all fees current with CA/other DMV, or are $ owed for all these years?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
If it still California titled, there may be back fees accrued. However, the back fees may be waived by presenting a statement of facts stating that the car has been out of state at the time of registration renewal along with supporting documents such as bill of lading for shipping out of state or proof of out of state registration. Out of state title and registration will negate any back fees due. The buyer will be required to do a VIN verification, but that's a very easy procedure performed at DMV or AAA. There are inspectors that can verify VIN off site (if the car is not driveable) for nominal fee

Even if the car has current CA tags/registration, it will be subject to smog due to change in ownership.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Gtvdrifter.. Does the car start and run? Any more pics of interior? I am interested, but need to know more? How is the electronics, etc.. Can I hear more about the parts car.. Pics too?

·
Premium Member
14,265 Posts
This looks like a fun project but it deserves a 3L motor.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
This looks like a fun project but it deserves a 3L motor.
Yeah I was just thinking as I read through, if it had a 164S motor it would be the Holy Grail of Alfettas.

It's such a great project that my wife has already said no. That's all the approval I need. Usually. (right Jim?)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts