Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be setting up a hot oil bath (300 degree F) to heat various parts during my gearbox assembly. I will probably need to purchase 1 or 2 liters of oil for this system. Does anyone have enough experience with this process to recommend a good oil for this purpose?

I guess I want something with a high flash point, that won't put off any smoke at that (or a slightly higher) temperature. I doubt if I will need (or want) to get it above 325F.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
OIl is not required for this process. Just a hot plate to put the gear on to heat it some. I have used a propane torch to heat gears as well. Or, freeze the opposite part. No reason to be heating oil and fearing fire.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Suggested solution to problem

Just put the rebuild project off till next November.

Walk around the neighborhood looking for someone cooking a turkey in one of those outdoor fryers. Ask him if you could use the fryer when he gets done. Just put the parts in the basket. Take them out when they are done. Run back home with parts still in basket and install....:sailor: He gets to clean up..

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
I will be setting up a hot oil bath (300 degree F) to heat various parts during my gearbox assembly. I will probably need to purchase 1 or 2 liters of oil for this system. Does anyone have enough experience with this process to recommend a good oil for this purpose?

I guess I want something with a high flash point, that won't put off any smoke at that (or a slightly higher) temperature. I doubt if I will need (or want) to get it above 325F.

Thanks,
Go to walmart or a consignment shop and buy the cheapest Fry Daddy they have. Use regular cooking oil in it. The fry Daddy will heat everything up enough to put it on but it won't overheat the parts. I've been using one for about 25 years now. I used to use a hot plate until I was distracted by something and the parts were overheated. They turned deep shades of blue.

·
Administrator
4,148 Posts
We did 4 trannys two weeks ago trying to sort out a decent one for Dad's '57 Spider and judicious use of a simple propane MAPP Gas torch made the job really simple.

Swapped out second gear in my '60 Spider tranny the week before, same procedure and as I write this, we are 275 miles from home having done 1300 miles on a Giulietta Tour, so I guess the propane torch trick does actually work and no hot oil risk.

Fast easy cheap....Plus the torch makes a good creme brulé

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go to walmart or a consignment shop and buy the cheapest Fry Daddy they have. Use regular cooking oil in it. The fry Daddy will heat everything up enough to put it on but it won't overheat the parts. I've been using one for about 25 years now. I used to use a hot plate until I was distracted by something and the parts were overheated. They turned deep shades of blue.
Thanks Jim,

I can buy a new Fry Daddy for $40 at a couple of local shops, but I was hoping to find a small used deep fryer (with adjustable temperature) for under $20 on ebay or craigslist. I had seen a few out there, so that was my plan.

I just wasn't sure if good old Wesson oil would work. Thanks for the confirmation that it does!

I've chosen to avoid the torch method because I don't feel it distributes the heat as evenly or as accurately as the oil bath method. If a deep fryer is set at 300F, and that temp is verified with a candy/deep fry thermometer, I'll feel confident that the metal of a part sitting in that hot oil for 15 minutes is exactly that temperature all the way through. Doubt if I can get that kind of accuracy with a Bernzomatic torch.

Appreciate the advice from the everyone, but I think I only want to use hot oil on the bronze gear bushes and synchro hubs, as that's what the shop manual recommends.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
I've never checked what the actual temperature is on one. I've been through 3 or 4 over the years. Wesson oil works fine. I plug it in then pile everything that needs to be heated in it. Sync hubs, dog teeth etc. I put the last to go one in first etc. Once you done clean everything with brake cleaner.

The big problem with using a fry daddy is you will be hungry for french fries halfway through.

Jim

·
Registered
216 Posts
A toaster oven and a digital thermometer is another option. Hot oil is quite the fire hazard.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I just use a good propane torch to heat the hubs until I feel they are hot enough to slide down the shaft. Using an oil bath might be the correct way but it seems to be a bit over board, for only putting on 3 hubs. (IMHO)

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
I just use a good propane torch to heat the hubs until I feel they are hot enough to slide down the shaft. Using an oil bath might be the correct way but it seems to be a bit over board, for only putting on 3 hubs. (IMHO)
But if your doing hubs and swapping several dog tooth gears around it it makes the job go quickly.

Reactions: Norseman50
1 - 10 of 10 Posts