Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

My 1966 Duetto has after market air horns fitted. I would like to know what type of horn was originally fitted on the Duettos and where would it have most likely been located. Any help (inccluding. pics) will be appreciated.

Cheers
Vick

·
Out of the office!
11,667 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,203 Posts
I would like to know what type of horn was originally fitted on the Duettos
As Ossodiseppia said, there were two horns (a high and a low) mounted on the L and R sides behind the grilles. The horns looked like the photo below - they mount with a single stud, which often serves as the ground connection.

Amazon sells high and low Fiamm horns for $12 apiece. I doubt they are the exact type that Alfa used 53 years ago, but they're pretty close. See: Amazon.com: FIAMM 72012 Low Note Replacement Horn: Automotive and Amazon.com: FIAMM 72002 HIGH Note Replacement Horn: Automotive

If you want to splurge another $3/horn, you can get the "freeway blaster" model that puts out 133 db. Great for waking up those morons with the booming stereos.

·
Out of the office!
11,667 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It is hard to see little Alfas. You have to drive like you are piloting a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Horn Location left side. Matching one on right side.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
While not stock, I still like the sound of air horns on little euro cars.
Wolo makes a cool setup (BadBoy) with the plastic airhorns formed around the compressor. Not much larger than an ignition coil. I've seen them stocked at Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
We are hard to see as smaller cars. There is a balance between alerting, scaring, and making the offender mad when they are about to run you over. I don't have an answer as to what is best. You don't want people to get scared, or make small children cry. I honked at a (Landcruiser) Lexus (soundproofed) about ready to merge into me and they actually swerved more into my lane. I think the daytime running lights are a huge boon for safety and I am thinking about inside my front bumpers. I leave my headlights on during the day to help people see me.

I would urge all of you to look at dashcamtalk and get a dashcam. Going over the pass in rain, a career criminal (assault, counterfeiting, bald tires) did a 360 in front of us swerving into, then out of our lane, full sideways in our lane and then he was straightened out. We rammed him with our Ram square into his tailgate after he corrected, and I had swerved to the right. Without our dashcam, we could not so easily prove, absolutely completely, he had done a Brody in front of us. Send me your email and I will send you a dashcam video.

Turn on your lights, get your horn working and get a dashcam. I also put headrest seats in my 1967. Stay safe my friends.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hi Vic,

the storms took our internet out for the last 5 days. so only just seen this. Rob Might have some horns, I might even have some. if you need more info / photos , let me know.

cheers Ian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts