Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the proccess of replacing my front rotors with Brembo on my Alfa and up until now it was going ok. I am trying to get the inner wheel bearing off. I read somewhere that you are to take off the spindle nut and outer bearing, put the spindle nut back on and use the spindle nut to drive out the inner bearing and wheel seal. I am not sure how that was supposed to work and I already have the rotor off. I need to get that inner bearing off to replace the wheel seal. Is the inner bearing just pressed on? Is it ok to use a screw driver to pri it off? I really dont want to break it and have buy new ones.

Thank You,

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Kelly,

Noticed no one ever responded. Still looking for assistance?

·
Administrator
16,620 Posts
See if the info below from the Spider shop manual helps.

You can pry the seal out with a screwdriver but to remove the bearing races you will need to 'drift' them out. (Only remove them if you are planning to replace them - don't remove them if they are in good condition and you are planning to re-use them.)

To drift them out you use a long punch (I like to use a brass rod to avoid damaging the inside of the hubs) and a hammer to knock them out. There may be a notch inside the hub to allow you place the punch against the bearing race to get it started. Tap around the circumference to push the bearing race out fairly straight. If you get it crooked it will not move.

When replacing the seal use a large socket or something similar so that you can tap it in along the outer edge.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
........ wonder if Kelly will respond after 9 whole years!........ that will surely be a BB record! :)

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Eric,

My bad. Thought everyone would notice the date :).

You're a good sport!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts