Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Administrator
12,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our news media, over here in little NZ, is making America out to be like a war zone at the moment ... so I hope you and your Alfas are safe and sound.

Pete

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,139 Posts
It really seems that our country is swirling down the drain to the cesspool. All of the talking heads feel that there are some well organized people that are instigating the riots. It is quite sad that these folks feel that this kind of behavior is warranted and acceptable. The last couple of months, I have been feeling the US is headed towards some sort of anarchy. I hope that my feelings are off base, but it's hard not to think it's either here or it's coming.

I think in most cities, the Police will easily be overwhelmed and that the National Guard will have to be called up. There are about 450k folks in the National Guard. That's probably not enough and a certain idiot in the White House my try to get the Armed Forces involved. That's not supposed to ever, ever happen.

Thank you for thinking of us, Pete.

·
Push hard and live
9,824 Posts
We are seeing what happens when there is a combination of oppression, suppression, a loss of hope, and the all-too-apparent collapse of American Democracy by being overtaken by a small but powerful band of criminals. This is certainly the first time in my life, and probably since the Civil War, that I fear we won’t make it to the election without an explosion, and if we do, there may be some sort of coup by the loser.

Reactions: markberger

·
Registered
42 Posts
We are seeing what happens when there is a combination of oppression, suppression, a loss of hope, and the all-too-apparent collapse of American Democracy by being overtaken by a small but powerful band of criminals. This is certainly the first time in my life, and probably since the Civil War, that I fear we won’t make it to the election without an explosion, and if we do, there may be some sort of coup by the loser.
Bajeezus. I don't think it's quite that bad. Democracy is a messy business. By design, it is messy. For Americans, where the 'me' usually comes before the 'us', and the state's rights are often prioritized over the national agenda, of course 2020 has been trying. We move forward as a country when those boundaries and interactions are tested (sometimes violently).

But, as somebody who has been here a while, I'm confident we do move forward from this horrible year and emerge stronger and together.

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
It appears that Antifa, left wing/anarchists are behind much of the rioting and they are about to be designated a terror organization, not before time IMO. The threat of being investigated by the FBI will most likely quiet them down.

Reactions: AaronsSpider

·
Push hard and live
9,824 Posts
Not one of my predictions was intended as hyperbole. I’ll be 70 in less than a year. I’m convinced the current Republican Party is acting along a careful, and long in the making, plan to destroy our method of governance, and reshape it according to their bizarrely disturbed ideas.

Will there be uncontainable and escalating violence? That has started, but I expect it to be contained.

Will some sort of Marshall law be declared? I think yes, unless Trump is certain of his re-election.

Will Trump try to cancel the election? Yes, unless he’s certain of his election.

Will the election be held? Probably, but Trump will be throwing up his plans to declare it invalid.

Will he be re-elected? Probably not, so he will declare some sort of emergency, or worse, start a nuclear war.

Big question. Will elements in the government and military rise up to stop him?

Lord, I hope so.

As for Minnesota and Antifa...

Get real. After several politicians claiming the riots were caused by people from other states, independent research determined that 86% of those arrested were locals.

·
Administrator
12,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sorry I started this thread, which obviously was going to get political.

It's a shame we can't go back in time to ~2015 ...
Pete

·
Push hard and live
9,824 Posts
Pete,

In addition to the above....

I was planning to come over to NZ in December with my fiancé for a motorcycle tour of your lovely country. Alas, the xenophobe in the WH has made crossing our border so fraught, we’ve had to put off those plans, and just hope there’s still a world left after the election so we can try next year.

Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Fascists are alive and well in the USA. They can destroy anything they want without getting arrested all because everyone wears a mask. No on can be identified....

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
A group of about 30 "protestors" smashed in the door of the Target store about 2 miles from my home. Fortunately the cops got there before the looting started. In downtown Columbia last night the "protestors" smashed and looted some businesses and set some police cars on fire, opened fire on the cops and assaulted a young female tv reporter. Tonight a "protester" was arrested for violating the curfew and he was carrying a semi automatic pistol and 70 rounds of ammunition. Our city and county is 60 odd percent black. The chairmen of the county council, the mayor of the city, and the majority of both the county and city legislature are African American. The county and city police both have excellent reputations. About 60 "protestors" have been arrested these past two days and less than half of them reside in the Midlands of South Carolina and some were from out of State. The rioters are a mixture of Antifa types who have been awaiting this opportunity to stir up trouble and criminally minded people who will take any opportunity they get to steal stuff.

·
Push hard and live
9,824 Posts
Where might we find a documented and cross-checked accounting of this?

And, the fascists operate in plain sight, without masks. The top one has weird hair, an overblown ego, and resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

·
Push hard and live
9,824 Posts
Particle

It appears that Antifa, left wing/anarchists are behind much of the rioting and they are about to be designated a terror organization, not before time IMO. The threat of being investigated by the FBI will most likely quiet them down.
It turns out that there is no organized group in the US identified as “Antifa”, and the law does not allow Trump to declare a domestic organization (which does not appear to exist) as a “Terrorist organization”. Trump says he's naming antifa a 'Terrorist Organization.' Can he do that?

we know source of the fake news.

Reactions: AlfaJGD

·
Push hard and live
9,824 Posts
<deleted by moderators>
We’ll see if my predictions play out.

Feel free to contribute your own observations. Ad hominem insults don’t much add to the conversation.

·
Push hard and live
9,824 Posts
BTW Calguy.

“Fascism” is a behavioral strategy assigned to an authoritarian government. It is often seen with a single “strong man” as head of government creating a stream of harsh orders, sometimes backed up by force, without a procedural rule of law.

An unorganized mob wreaking random havoc on the streets is more correctly referred to as “anarchy”.

Reactions: AlfaJGD

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
“Fascism” is a behavioral strategy assigned to an authoritarian government.
My father fought in the streets of Manchester against Oswald Mosley's Black Shirts in the late 30's. They were fascists all right and they were not part of any government.

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
Protesting California Style:

1 - 20 of 191 Posts