Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Push hard and live
9,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealing with details...

I’ve got a new-to-me Alfetta GT. When I pull the hood release the latch lets go, but nothing happens to cause the hood to pop up. Thus, I need to use something like a wooden paint stir stick to reach forward to pry the hood up while simultaneously pulling the release.

Is there a spring or something that should pop the hood up when it’s released? There’s a torsion bar at the front, but it doesn’t seem to do much.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,568 Posts
Does you latch have a spring on it? That helps push up on the hood.

There is also the torsion spring at the front like you mentioned.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Push hard and live
9,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My latch does not look like the one in your picture. Similar, but not same. Mine is riveted to the cover over the wiper motor. I don’t see a wiper motor in your pic.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,568 Posts
Maybe they changed the setup over the years.

Do you have one latch or two?

This is my 84 GTV6. It only has one latch. The wiper motor is off to the left in this photo, on the passenger side of the engine bay.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Push hard and live
9,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is a 4-cyl Alfetta, so I would expect significant differences.

I have one latch at the middle-rear, and the wiper motor is mounted directly behind the latch.

I see nothing in the parts book to provide a “pop-up” feature, other than the torsion bar. It’s accomplishing nothing, and I see no way to increase its loading.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Just to qualify myself, I know nothing of the Alfetta, is there a snubber at the corner that could be adjusted to give a little boost?

·
Push hard and live
9,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are rubber snubbers at each rear corner of the hood. The set the height such that the hood is even with the surrounding bodywork. Efforts to adjust the snubbers upward just results in the hood standing above the surrounding bodywork. Not the solution.

I would expect the latch to have some sort of internal spring that pre-loaded the capture tang so that when it was released it would bump the hood upward by enough to grab a corner and lift it open. OR the torsion bar could provide the preload.

The previous owner had the car repainted, without a great deal of care for the smaller details. I'm wondering if there are alternative installation methods with the torsion bar, or a spring not pictured in the parts book that should be part of the latch?

·
Registered
552 Posts
The torsion bar has nothing to do with the inital lift, the torsion bar is there to help stability at or near the vertical. The lock down the release and the inital lift happens at the latch be it a 6 or 4 riveted or bolted

·
Push hard and live
9,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My latch appears somewhat meddled with. There is no mechanism that would provide an upward force when the latch is released.

can someone post a pic of their 77-78 Alfetta GT latch?

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts