Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hood release cable pulled loose from the latch and the hood is shut on my spider. Is there a thread on the bb that addresses this or does anyone have a solution?? Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Yes, there are threads on this topic. Just do a search using "broken hood cable" on this (Spider) forum and several threads will come up... I'm sure you can use other word combinations and come up with more, but those should suffice.

Best regards,

·
Registered
366 Posts
So if you pull on the cable enough from under the dash, it will come completely out?
If so, then its come loose from the latch mechanism itself allright. ****. . .You are going to have to get it on a lift and use mirrors, etc. to see what's going on unless of course a PO installed a back up cable that hangs down in the engine bay or wheel well somewhere. (I added one to mine just in case someday. . .) You'll have to make some kind of tool to fiddle it over and pop it. The latch moves from pass. side to driver's side to open the hood.

Or did it come loose from the handle under the dash? If it came loose from the handle under the dash, then you are in luck. Just use a pair of vice grips to pull on it hard enough to pop the hood. You might have to use a second pair of vice grips to hold the end of the cable cover while you pull on the cable itself.

·
Administrator
17,233 Posts
Hmm, what color is your Spider? Does it have A/C? You may be SOL - you'll probably want to just give me your car now and be done with it. I already have a red one so another color would be nice. And don't forget the A/C. A/C would be good to have somedays...

Well, for sure there are lots of threads about stuck hoods. The search function found these for me:

hood release failure

uhh oh...

worst case scenario

If you are lucky you might be able to grasp the remnants of the cable above the release handle. Grab it with pliers (vise-grips) and hopefully the other end is still attached to the latch. If that doesn't work and you are REALLY lucky, a PO (previous owner) has installed an aux hood release somewhere.

aux hood release

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
(note to self - it'd be faster if I learn to type with more than two fingers...)
Three responses in three minutes... :) ... either we are dedicated alfisti or we need to find a Saturday night activity! :D

Best regards,

·
Registered
366 Posts
Alfistis quick to respond

Three responses in three minutes... :) ... either we are dedicated alfisti or we need to find a Saturday night activity! :D

Best regards,
There were (3) quick replies as I think all of us could feel his pain, especially if there is no backup cable. What a freakin' PITA to open your hood if this happens. I cringed everytime I popped my hood prior to installing the backup.

The thought of removing the whole dash or having to drill a hole in my hood for something as simple as a broken cable. . .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the quick response guys! Looks like I'll have to get it up on a lift and play with it from underneath. Lucky me!!

·
Registered
what part?
9,895 Posts
.as soon as i get back from reserve training..i was planning to make a new hood and trunk out of s-glass nice and light and stong..and in the event of said problem..you can easyly drill / cut into the fiberglass hood and pop it and make a repair very easyly:):)

·
Registered
what part?
9,895 Posts
...this well work, have opened a few hoods this way..1.get a few peices of wood up to 1" thick..to use as shims/wedges( from 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" you get the idea here)pull up on the end of the hood, carefully..insert a wedge.. move that on down a few inchs. form starting point.insert a thicker wedge at same starting point..move that wedge down to 1st. wedge point..move 1st wedge down a few inchs. cont. till you get the 1" wedge in between the hood and the body..now get an led flashlight..works the best to see the area you will be working in..get a cloths hanger, set a nice little'u' at the end of it..look wiht the led light, fish around a bit untill you see/feel the latch.. pull.pop the hood:):) now get a new cable and fix it..then instale a back up cable..:):) good luck.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
My S-4 came from the factory with a back-up cable. Does anyone know when Alfa started to do this? Dietrite doesn't say what year his spider is, could be he already has one installed.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Unfortunately, there is a second failure mode for the latch. Fortunately, its easy to overcome. The receiver part on the hood has what looks like 2 little pins extending across the hole into which the rotating pin on the firewall goes when the hood is closed. The pin thingie can break, bend, etc. and the pin will not rotate enough to release the hood because the pins are broken or misaligned. If the cable is still attached, and no amount of pulling will release the hood, have some one try to bounce the hood up and down by pressing quickly just above the receiver while you pull the cable. Presto...open hood.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
duh...the "pin" above is the arrow headed thingie on the firewall, the "pins" are the thingies going across the hole...my bad

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have had adding an emergency release cable on my to do list for a while. Especially after reading many of these posts. Yesterday afternoon while winterizing the car I added that cable. Less than a five minute job. Used a stainless steel fishing leader and routed to the wheel well. Click it on the release mechnism and cable tie it to the existing cable. Heck there even is a hole in the upper fender near the driver firewall that you only need to poke a small hole through the rubber type stuff to get it into the wheel well. Hopefully I never will need to use it. One of the simplest and easiest jobs on the car that prevents one of the most difficult problems.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Backup cable: Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. (Like your old trusty S & W )

·
Registered
366 Posts
broken hood release cable

Thanks for the quick response guys! Looks like I'll have to get it up on a lift and play with it from underneath. Lucky me!!
Not to be morbid, but can you take photos of the whole gory process?
I've always wondered if it is even possible from underneath.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Not to be morbid, but can you take photos of the whole gory process?
I've always wondered if it is even possible from underneath.
This is definitely possible, and I've seen one of my Alfa mechanics do it... I've never worried about installing a back-up cable, and have just made it a routine item to check the cable... In over three decades of Spider ownership I've never had this problem (knock on wood, JIC). :)

Best regards,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts