Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Am trying to put my '59 Sprint hood release back to the way it should have been. I have the right hood release lever to install, but need the cable itself that mates up to the lever. Any help on where to find one is much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Reid,

You can source a very similar bare wire cable, if not the same, in bicycle shops or where they sell bicycle accessory, and for cheap as well. Then you just install the original ends/fittings on it.

Dennis

·
Administrator
3,958 Posts
Hi Reid

Dennis is right, a bicycle cable works perfectly, just make sure you get a brake cable and not a gear cable as the gear cables are thinner. Mountain Bike brake cables have a big round lump at one end, road bike brake cables have a stepped ferrule - either will work.

The bike shop will have metal end caps and plastic end caps for the cable housings, so you can take your pick. If you have the measurements you can ask them to cut the cable & housing with their proper cable cutters - side cutters cause the inner to split and the outer to collapse. Get a pair of cable ends for the inner while you are there - they just crimp onto the cut ends.

Fast, easy & cheap - works for us

Ciao
Greig

Italian & French cars
Italian motorbike
Italian & French bicycles
Italian/French/South African wife......

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, that is both interesting and helpful...Anyone have a photo or description of what the fitting looks like that mounts to the release lever itself? I don't have that fitting, and I assume the set up my car currently has is the right fitting for the engine compartment side as well, but am not sure....

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Reid,

Here´s a pic of the fitting on my Spider and I suppose its the same on Sprint, but am not sure. Basically its a small hollow metal cylinder with a screw right through, thus securing the wire end. Can get you some pics of the mechanism on my Sprint if I´ll drive over to the garage this weekend.

Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
In the picture Dennis posted, the cable loop around the post looks very large (I cant tell if it is wound around the post twice) but if the loop is that large I can see it coming off of the post leaving no means of opening the hood - just my two cents.

John Viereg

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Just a minute the car is a Sprint and the Spider arrangement is totally different. Yes a generic bike brake cable, stainless with a nylon lined outer is the way to go. £9 from my local shop and twice as long as you need.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right, the Sprint is different...Is it just a cable looped around the hole in the lever that actuates the hood release from the drivers compartment? Again, any photos would be helpful. Thanks again for the photo of the Spider engine compartment release, but the Sprint is different.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Reid,

Here´s a pic of the fitting on my Spider and I suppose its the same on Sprint, but am not sure. Basically its a small hollow metal cylinder with a screw right through, thus securing the wire end. Can get you some pics of the mechanism on my Sprint if I´ll drive over to the garage this weekend.

Dennis
Guys,

I ment it might be the same mechanical arrangement on the Sprint as well, with cable loop around the release mechanism, metal cylinder etc, except positioned under the windshield instead of in the front of course.
Will post pix IF I´ll go to the garage, can´t decide yet as it is currently too cold for working on the car.

Is there really no one else that can provide some simple pix for Reid?

Dennis

·
Administrator
3,958 Posts
Guys

Dennis is hip-deep in snow at the moment & his workshop (and Sprint) is a short drive from his house, hence his posting of his Spider picture just for info.

On the Sprint there is a small tube welded to the underside of the dash between the instrument pod and the bonnet catch and another welded to the vertical kick panel high up on the LHS of the dash - these act as locating points / anchor points for the ends of the outer cable, the inner then attaches to the bonnet release handle at one end & the bonnet catch on the other. Inner cable passes is fed through a small bolt with a hole drilled in it at the lever end & through the fitting underneath the bonnet catchon the other end & is locked into place with a small bolt.

Make *sure* the nuts & bolts are tight, if the cable slips, you have to get under the dash to twist the lever manually.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Greig is as usual bang on the money except for one small point.....some Sprints do not have the tube he mentions.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, mine does have the tubes, but the next question of the hour is.....Does anyone know of a similar solution to the spring that lifts the hood/bonnet itself up from the latch? Is there a source people have been getting these from? Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Reid,

Here are some pix of the locking mechanism of my Sprint, unfortunately I forgot to shoot some from under the panel as a friend followed with me and distracted me with his never ending questions about the project. So maybe tomorrow again.

Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
OK, From the pictures I see that, the Sprint is entirely different from the spider in that there is a bolt with a hole in it into which the cable is fed through and then the bolt is tightened thus securing the cable. This arrangement applies to each end of the cable. Very positive as long as the bolts are tight enough and checked periodically and there are no sharp bends(kinks) in the cable. On my Spider I used a bicycle cable and two crushable sleeves on the hood latch end.

John Viereg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts