Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, installed a new release cable and sheath cause the PO just had a bare cable going thru the firewall and was starting to fray...actually it looked like the inner trunk cable.

anyway, after getting it routed and the set screws tightened, gave it a couple test pulls on the release lever. All good. dropped the hood and tried to release it...

**** cable just released from the set screw...the one u under the hood, not under the dash :( :( :( I guess not tight enough??? But didn't wanna break or strip the set screw either.

So, recalling some other posts about getting at the latch from under the car...jack up the driver's side, nope can't see anything so go to the passenger side...yep, there it is.

It required removing pax tire, turning the steering wheel one full turn to the right to more the tie rod linkage. and removing the throttle link end (S3 spider). All in order to have room to guide a 2 foot bar into place.

So pictures of the things I tried with no success...first the long screw driver, couldn't really get any leverage to move the latch. then the 1/2" electrical conduit pipe, that fit nicely onto the bottom of the "pin thing/set screw" that the end of the wire goes through. But again, no leverage to move the latch towards the driver's side to release the hood. long pry bar, same failure.

Then I my 24" (2foot) tire iron tool from Harbor Freight, item # 93230. The ends are tapered. I was able to place the tapered end between the latch lever and the passenger side of the latch bracket (for lack or a better word). Once the tapered end was in place I pushed up to make sure it was fully seated between the latch lever and bracket. But again, no way to get any leverage to actually move the latch lever.

Then I used a pair of channel lock pliers to grab the bottom of the tire iron and twist it a 1/4 turn. Clockwise looking up I believe. The hood popped the first time. No prying, no levering, no pushing, no beating, no hammering...just a little twist. So easy.

So, Harbor Freight tire iron and a pair of pliers is all that was needed. Insert end of tire iorn into latch, then twist. well, it worked on an S3. probably the same/similar for S1/2/4.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Dang!! Glad you found a workaround!!! You've motivated me to install an emergency/auxiliary release cable (which I have sitting on the bench for a year now) for both the hood and trunk!! Thanks for the kick start!!!

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I'm doing the emergency cables too. Just wasn't planning to need it immediately.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hood is one thing...lose the trunk cable and say goodbye to that part of the car unless you take the plasma cutter to her rear end!!! LOL

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hooray!! Once again the BB comes through!! Did a search and found instructions!! Don't have to blast with a plasma cutter, just drill a hole through the license plate holder and into the trunk for a screwdriver or make a rod and fish up from the drain hole in the wheel well bottom ...easy peasy!!
Just FYI. This thread shows both methods!! 1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce Trunk Release Cable Broken...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Taillights are $150 plus (and that's not a perfect, even a good one!!. I know...been looking for 4 years), if you can find one!! Just FYI

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
this (afaik) is the very first time documented on here where someone has successfully opened the hood from underneath the car!

....I still cannot fathom out how you even see the latch from under the car, yet alone get at it!
well done is all I can say:)

the trunk is a five minute job, when you know where to drill...and there is even (on some spiders) a hole in the floor where you can supposedly reach the latch from, though I have not found that....don't need it though, as I fitted an emergency cable tied up behind the rear number plate.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes, I had a pic up here years ago where to drill behind the license plate. I returned home that day from the grocery store with steak in the trunk and the cable snapped! Also, connected an old bass guitar string to the hood release that is accessible at the driver's side hood seam. Haven't need it yet.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it's been discussed on here before. I recalled seeing it on some BB search or something. glad I did. better than cutting a hole in the hood.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I am considering installing bicycle brake cables for an emergency hood and trunk release. I assume they are available in varying lengths.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I added some pictures showing the tire iron in place on the latch to give you an idea of how I made it work. Pics are added to original post at the top.

maybe an admin could add or link this to the technical FAQ if it's useful or a common problem?

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,012 Posts
I am considering installing bicycle brake cables for an emergency hood and trunk release. I assume they are available in varying lengths.
Prior to the cornhole virus, I was helping a friend with a customer's 69 Spider I replaced the trunk and hood cables. I installed the new cables and would not close with until I had the back up cables in place. Here's a link to the brake cable set I bought to use as backups. I believe brake cables are a bit thicker than shift cables.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Prior to the cornhole virus, I was helping a friend with a customer's 69 Spider I replaced the trunk and hood cables. I installed the new cables and would not close with until I had the back up cables in place. Here's a link to the brake cable set I bought to use as backups. I believe brake cables are a bit thicker than shift cables.

We are on our 8th Alfa and have use bicycle cable for back up with the exception the first Alfa in 1968, just pulled on the right corner of the trunk and it opened, then all others including the 74 GTV backup cables, the Stelvio is electric and pray it does not fail.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts