Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
The passenger side drain tube on my 74 spider is not draining out under the rocker panel. As a consequence, the rocker is rusting and will need to be repaired. I would like to re-route it or reposition the tube. It's not blocked, just doesn't go where it should (I think). Water seems to fill up a section around the bottom of the tube somewhere in the hollow section in front of the rear wheel, and drains only slowly. Does anyone have any diagrams of how these tubes are routed into the sill section or good fixes for the problem?

Thanks for any help on this

Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
I dont have any pictures for you, but there is nothing fancy in the routing the piece of hose takes. There is a small flange at the top end (ie behind plastic interior trim near top of hood frame) where the hose pushes on, then drops down to another flange at the bottom end (ie near sill) where it also pushes on. This bottom flange then vents to the outside of car through the sill panels. One of my my hoses was "kinked" so slowed the water flow down to a dribble, this may also be causing your slow water flow or a hose blockage as they can fill up with gunk. However it also could be that the hose has simply come off the bottom flange so water is just flowing all over the place and leaking out where it can.

Its very easy to remove all of the interior trim from the side of the car where the problem is to invsetigate further, but i am 100% sure the hose is either kinked or has come off the bottom flange. Its pretty easy to clean up down in this area with a vaccum cleaner, rust preventer, fish oil, and then place a new stiffer hose back onto the flange which is harder to kink or get blocked.

Good luck Simon

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,544 Posts
it might be that the drains at the bottom of the rocker panels have clogged up with 37 years of who knows what. Try pouring some water down the drain and see where the problem is. The Eastwood rust encapsulator is pretty good for stopping rust. I get a can or two when it goes on sale.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for suggestions.
Simon, can't see a lower flange to push the hose over. The hose just disappears into a box section at the lower end, through a hole just big enough to fit the hose. I pulled the hose out earlier, and tried to see into the box section through the hose hole and can't see anything like the metal tube fitting at the top end upon which the top end of the hose locates.

Perhaps the bottom end flange has been modified or simply rusted away......

Any way, I will go back and investigate a little further, perhaps try to get some pictures.

Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
That seems strange that there is no flange at either end!
I was only playing in this area of my 1973 Spider a few weeks ago when I refitted new speakers to the plastic interior trim panel and I definately had a metal flange at both top and bottom to fit the hose onto.
Maybe the US LHD delivered cars were slightly different to our RHD cars or someone has had a "play" down around this area of your car maybe your sills were replaced once before and they used few non original/different sill panels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts