Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this inlet grill is plastic and located on top of the metal trim that covers the wiper motor on my Spider. The PO used silicon caulk to hold it on the metal cover as the plastic studs had mostly broken off.

I would like to repair the studs so I can secure it with screws again. I was thinking of grinding the ends down smooth and then adhering some plugs to the plastic. Not sure what to use as plugs or what to use as an adhesive.
I am told MEK will weld the plastic together but don't know where to get any 3/16" or 1/4" plastic dowels.

The photo shows where four of the studs have broken off.

Anybody done this before and or have any suggestions.

Thanks

Gary

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
I painted mine on my 82 Spider. I uesd Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Vinyl Paint. I also used this brand on my GTV-6 panels over 7 years ago, the hood and front vents as well as the 2 rear triangles and it still looks great! Maybe there are other brands of paint that others prefer, but that mine.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
A well equipped model n train hobby shop usually stock plastic dowling for the diorama building folks.

Barring that, you might try going to the hardware store and picking up a fistful of plastic/vinyl machine screws as used in plumbing applications. (usually found in the screw isle instead of with the plumbing stuff)
They come in little calibers like that, can be turned or filed flat on the head then glued on to act like studs.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I would offer to sell you a used black grill, if you are interested. But before I offer it up for sale, let me check it for condition of the same posts you are talking about. I will check it in the daylight tomorrow morning and get back with you. It would be reasonably priced if it turns out to be an acceptable part. I am breaking my 1988 black Veloce after it was flooded May 1. I only had liability insurance, so the loss is mine and I still own the car.

Robert Hill in Memphis, Tn

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Repair Attempt

My intake grill at the base of the window was installed with caulking by PO. Discovered the plastic studs on the bottom of the grill were all broken off.
Thought I would try to rebuild them with JB Weld. I used some short pieces of a plastic straw as a form. Used a piece of brass tubing with notched end as a drill to provide a seat for the straw. mixed up the JB weld and set the pieces in place.
Hopefully they will be strong enough to hold the grill in place. I'll confirm when I install it.

Oh, pictures attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
That is an ingenious repair. But there is a complete front panel for sale on ebay right now, closing in less than 24 hours. Asking price is $30.00. It is the complete front grill metal panel with the inlet piece already in place. Color is red.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have used Plastex to fix plastic motorcycle parts - rebuild broken tabs for example.
Eric,
Thanks for the reference.
That is interesting stuff. I think it might have an application fixing the console kick panels; mine have some cracks around the attachments and need reinforcing. The Master kit is a bit pricey at $75.

I think the cowl repair I did with JB Weld will work. I fit up well this morning. Now I Have two to these cowls and both have missing posts that need fixin. I'll see how this works out and report back.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Wow, that Plastex stuff is neat. I've searched many times regarding plastic repair and had never come across that. How has it held up for you? It's tempting to try to repair the broken tabs on the Carello plexi covers with that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts