Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
I doubt that is a factory installation - the Sprint GT's used torsion springs - not a prop - to hold up the deck lids.

My guess is the owner of that GT re-purposed a hood prop when their torsion springs wore out. If you want to go that way, have at it, but ask for a hood prop.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Actually GTC's up to 755400 used the prop rod pn 1488.46.701. After 755401 the GTC's and GTA, used pn 105.06.56.297.00, which by the way are the same pn as the hood prop rod, and I have seen repros being sold somewhere.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for the info. Mine is an early GTC and it has no provisions that I can see for torsion rods. There are holes for a rod and factory installed reinforcement block installed in the boot lid. Also it’s frustrating to open since there’s no spring that “pops” it up when you pull the latch. I will edit the title.

·
Administrator
3,807 Posts
Not sure if your GTC boot / trunk hinges are anything like the later dip nose ones as the GTC boot lid is bigger, but on my cars I had the same issue of the lid not popping up initially, so I climbed into the boot of my '69 dip nose and when I closed the lid, the hinge does a double-over flip and a flat portion of the hinge then nestles up against a flat portion of the inner body brace below the parcel shelf. This inner body brace just happened to have a punched hole in it from the Factory so I fitted a squishy rubber bung in the hole on either side and trimmed them down so that just as the lid closed and the 2 flat surfaces met, the bung was just neatly under compression (squished). Result is when I pull the release lever the bung assists in pushing the hinge away and the lid pops up every time.

No change in effort to close the lid, no forcing of anything, but 100% effective and once popped open, the Z spring torsion rods assist to lift the lid

Aye
Greig

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Actually GTC's up to 755400 used the prop rod pn 1488.46.701. After 755401 the GTC's and GTA, used pn 105.06.56.297.00, which by the way are the same pn as the hood prop rod, and I have seen repros being sold somewhere.
Alfaholics has it on offer. Find under COUP PANELS.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all. I ended up ordering one from Alfaholics. AlfistiSA I will have to see about installing the plugs like you say. I kmow of the holes your talking about and that sounds like that would work great while looking original.

·
Administrator
3,807 Posts
Best part is you can't see them from outside if you fit them to the body brace under the rear parcel shelf.

Boot lid pops up every time

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Best part is you can't see them from outside if you fit them to the body brace under the rear parcel shelf.

Boot lid pops up every time

Ciao
Greig
Hey Greig, some times a picture needs a thousand words but in this case, for me at least, a picture would be worth a 1000 words. Any chance of a picture??

Thanks

Ken

1 - 12 of 12 Posts