Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just received a new bonnet cable in a shipment of parts from Centerline (see attached pic).

Now my original bonnet/hood cable is long gone, and I cannot remember if this cable should have an eyelet attached to it, or how this cable attaches to the release lever inside the cabin.

So, before I go and harass the guys from Centerline, can someone tell me if I am missing a piece here? Or better still, a photo from an original setup would be great. I am almost positive there should be an eyelet pressed on one end of this cable, but would appreciate if someone could confirm or deny.

Thanks

Axeman74

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The cabel misses an eye at the handle end. You need a special bolt and nut to go thru the eye, but I don't think that is a part of the spare part "bonnet release cabel".
Erik

·
Registered
797 Posts
Here's a few shots of my hood release mechanism. The cable goes through the hole drilled in the bolt. To secure it, you have to tighten only the nut while holding the bolt steady. Kind of a PIA but it's easier with the whole lever assembly removed from the car body. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
When you install the cable to the latch under the hood, a loop clamp should be on the cable before it slides through the movable part of the latch mechanism with the set screw. Once the cable goes through this part of the latch it loops back and through the loop clamp The loop clamp is a round zero shaped (0) with a set screw, the same set up is used at the trunk latch. Sorry no camera interface.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responses to this (including one offline, will speak to you soon Lance). Yep, it is fastened with a pinchbolt, which I had lost. No problem, I just made my own pinchbolt by drilling a hole in a 6mm bolt, just like factory! Worked quite nicely.

Thanks again,

Axeman74

·
Registered
43 Posts
How do you attach the cable to the loop bolt? OR Do you just buy one with the loop bolt already attached? OR Do you just loop the cable around the bolt in the trunk release cable lever and use a crimp ferrulle?
My cable sheared off at the loop bolt and I have enough slack in the cable in the trunk to give me enough to use.

Ross in Austin
89 Spider Veloce

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,166 Posts
How do you attach the cable to the loop bolt?
You mean re-use your old loop thing? I don't think you can; I think it was crimped on and can only be used once.

OR Do you just buy one with the loop bolt already attached?
Well, that would be the "right" way to fix it.

OR Do you just loop the cable around the bolt in the trunk release cable lever and use a crimp ferrulle? My cable sheared off at the loop bolt and I have enough slack in the cable in the trunk to give me enough to use.
I'd give that approach a try before spending the time and money to get a replacement cable with a loop thingy attached. The trick will be securing a small loop of cable with a crimp ferrule in the limited space between the back of the lever and front of the sheath.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Okay, I looped the cable around the bolt in the trunk release lever and secured it with a crimp ferule. The ferule was too long and I trimmed it off to fit in that limited space in the lever. It works fine now. No one knows that I didn't replace it with the original loop bolt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts