Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Still troubleshooting. Figured out that DPO had installed carbs, but a non-vented cap. I'm on the verge of getting the car to start, but now when I hear it catch and let off the starter, I hear this:

To me, that sounds like a problem with the starter motor. It's a lot louder than it sounds in the video. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
The center bolt on the starter is a special bolt that helps allign the starter. Might not be correct bolt. Best to check the starter for tightness and if you feel like tinkering loosen and retighten making sure it feels seated evenly on all three tightening points. .
So fuel pump set up is? YOu got good spark? timing is set?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The center bolt on the starter is a special bolt that helps allign the starter. Might not be correct bolt. Best to check the starter for tightness and if you feel like tinkering loosen and retighten making sure it feels seated evenly on all three tightening points. .
So fuel pump set up is? YOu got good spark? timing is set?
Got good spark. Timing is set.

Figured out why fuel pump was so noisy. The gas cap is un-vented, so the pump was cavitating and never filling the float bowls. Once I pulled the filler cap, it started pumping fuel. Still, I'm not sure it's doing quite what it should be doing.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The stock gas cap is unvented. It is common for the venting system to get stopped with corrosion.

Mine was plugged. There's a long thin metal tube that runs along the passenger side of the cam cover. Mine was solid with crap.

I got it out by shoving some stiff copper wire through it. I used the ground wire from some 14 gauge house wiring.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stock gas cap is unvented. It is common for the venting system to get stopped with corrosion.

Mine was plugged. There's a long thin metal tube that runs along the passenger side of the cam cover. Mine was solid with crap.

I got it out by shoving some stiff copper wire through it. I used the ground wire from some 14 gauge house wiring.
OK--here's a weird one. I was trying to prime the pump by putting a bit of compressed air into the tank. (I'm a tuba player--no compressor involved.) Instead of priming the pump, I ended up with a stream of fuel coming out of a metal line that ends under the car, just short of the passenger-side wheel well. I assume this is a return line from the SPICA system, but why is it full of gas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts