Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Honest Weight of a GTV6?

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Mark_toro 
#1 ·
Greetings everyone,

Has anyone actually weighed a stock or near stock GTV6? I see factory published curb weights in the 2900 lb. range but don't really trust such sources.
I have a number of 3030 lbs that may have come from a car magazine. Which would lead one to think the factory numbers were optimistic.
So, has anyone actually weighed these cars with corner scales or other accurate means?
(I've searched on this forum but didn't find anything.)
Corner weighing would also confirm front to rear balance. I'm thinking the GTV6 is heavier in the nose since the Alfetta 4cyl was also published as 50/50.

Thanks!

#3 ·
It is not heavier in the nose. I've weighed it on corner scales, and there are published weights by magazines done in the day.

Here is where I start weighing things:1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..."

Bob

#7 ·
Yes, US spec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Well interesting. Our cars appear to be lighter than I imagined.
Thanks for the inputs. I appreciate it.

So now some over-the-top enthusiast needs to do is install carbon composite hood, rear hatch, front fenders, and do an Alfaholics-esque CF doors which I think is mighty impressive. I like sunroofs as well so a CF one of those.
Continue with hollow titanium torsion bars (yes, full-on fantasy happening here), aluminum (oh what the heck - Titanium to keep theme unlimited budget going) lower A-arms, titanium upper control rod, titanium front hubs, carbon ceramic front rotors on titanium bells/hats, and good light weight calipers.
I think the after-market front sway bar is hollow. But hey, more light weight expensive material here?
Wheels, something light. Seems 17" may not be the best to avoid curb damage but the tire selection is quite a bit better. Need crazy light one's of course.
I think Lithium-Ion-Phosphate batteries are getting mature enough to be used as a car battery. I think those require a higher amperage "fast charging" alternator. Will have to investigate that some more. And with such a light weight battery, one could mount it forward and save much of the weight of that long battery cable.
I've read about carbon fiber drive shafts and seems a GTV6 owner or two may have incorporated one in the past.
Seats are probably the easiest to obtain in a light weight configuration. CF shells with a bit of padding certainly would work. I think there may be some that recline that aren't too crazy heavy.
Rear brakes? What with space limitations and mounted next to the transaxle maybe the currently available SZ vented units or the Girodiscs (floating hats, yeah!) would work.
Lightened clutch and gears? Should shave a few pounds.
Rear coil springs of titanium of course.
"Drillium", where can we apply lots of that? Maybe in a few locations.
Anyway, kind of fun to fantasize about from time to time.

Thanks again guys.

#13 ·
I've seen pictures of the Alfetta V8 but didn't know it had an aluminum shell and fiberglass parts. Interesting for sure Alleggerita.
Yeah Peter A, you could eliminate those parts, but I wonder if your enjoyment of the car would drop? I like lower noise, vibration and harshness so added extra sound insulation under the carpeting and even added more body sound deadening "tar-stuff" in the fender wells.
And your 4C suggestion is certainly valid, ....except I'm 6'7" so can only admire those cars from the outside!

#15 ·
I've seen figures of 2668 pounds as the 'curb weight'. Not sure if that was US spec, and how much gas may be in the tank. For the GTV6, I've always heard 51/49 (front and rear) weight bias. The Alfetta Coupe had a slightly different gas tank, the battery up front, and a lighter 4 cylinder engine of course. So the total weight and bias might become confused between the GTV6 and Alfetta. Not sure, but the figures offered here are all in the same ballpark, regardless.

#16 ·
Corner weights on mine. Needed to know full weights for SMod class in SCCA and work has calibrated corner scales. :)

LF 726, RF 698
LR 659, RR 656
Total 2739

52/48% F/R

1/8 tank of fuel

#19 ·
Good for you! I wish I could say it would only be 20.

#21 ·
Ed - You obviously haven't been living right! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.