Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the 1992 164 S yesterday in New Haven CT, and as John said it was in excellent condition. When I got to the PO's house his wife said they had never driven more than 100 miles in it at once. Well it was 380 miles back to my house and the biggest problem I had.......keeping it under 95 mph!!!
The car drove perfectly.
The first three issues to address;
1. The radio, PO had the ECU behind the center console replaced and when they put it back together the radio doesn't play and the antenna doesn't go up.
2. Power mirrors don't work.
3. Air Bag(s?) light blinks and dings when I start the car and then stays on while driving.
Pictures - I got home well after dark and had to get to work early, will take and post some tomorrow.

John, thanks again, the car exceeded all of my expectations!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Congrats.

First things first, however. When was the timing belt changed last?? Miles AND date. Given that this car has been driven very little, the belt will age out before mile'ing out. If you have not done so, I'd recommend that you read through the buyer's guide (http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/189340-my-take-buying-164s.html) to get a feel for the common fault areas so you can be on watch for them and fix them before they become problems. Hopefully you have a good written maintenance history.

Radio - Probably forgot to plug the connector to the radio back in. That'll be an easy fix.

Power Mirror - Fuses

Airbag - They're fairly simple to fix once you find the source of the fault. But that can be a little challenging sometimes as some fault codes are ambiguous. Might be as simple as a little corrosion on the connector behind the passenger center console kick panel. About once a year, my light comes on and I just unhook the connector, spray it with electrical cleaner and plug it back in. The Airbag ECU is very sensitive to anything less than a good connection. In any case, you need to extract the codes from the computer (easy to do) to find out what the computer thinks is wrong. Several good threads on the Airbag on the BB here. You will need to make yourself a switch with wires to hook up to the Airbag tester port behind the passenger A-pillar kick panel.

At any rate, I've been through this Airbag drill before. PM me if you need any help.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Steve, I'm glad you're satisfied with it and that the trip home went well. It certainly seemed like it would have made it without trouble.

The car was within a safe range to operate with that timing belt, but it is worth taking a look at now that your home as I mentioned in email. It would be good to check the tensioner.

I think Steve got a nice one here. A few common electrical and HVAC annoyances aside, it looks like the PO was very proactive with mechanical maintenance and overall upkeep of interior and exterior finishes.

If this car was black, I'd be hiding it from my wife right now!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I feel your joy, and am happy for you.

But let me say as a neophyte who had to do a head change due to the tensioner failing, if you do not have DOCUMENTED proof of the timing belt AND tensioner being changed recently, do not pass go, change the timing belt and tensioner, and then drive and sleep easily.

Go to school on my misfortune, change the timing belt and tensioner.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First picture

Camera wasn't working great, got this one, will try again.
I am going through all of he paperwork and service tickets organizing by date and mileage.
First order of will be new pads and rotors, they have a little life left in them but I need to get a sefety inspection anyway.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
boy thats pretty. I really like the wheels and the wing!! ciao, chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts