Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my '73 GTV 2000 for about 2 years now and it has just been sitting in the corner of my garden rotting away under a car cover. I have finally finished my other projects enough so that I can start on the Alfa and I can't wait to get stuck in.

I have a YouTube channel and as such I will be filming the entire series. Here is the first episode.

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
LOL, I just read that, Jeff, with your voice tone in my mind. I can't wait to see how this goes.

Bob

·
Registered
457 Posts
Welcome to the AlfaBB, Jeff. I thought you might stop in here. I’ve watched and enjoyed both of your previous restorations and think you will find the BB as useful as Rennlist and Pelican Parts were for the 911. I’m interested to hear your engine plans for the Alfa.

Best,
Mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time to start stripping down the Alfa. First things first, lets yank that engine. Should be simple enough right...

·
Registered
938 Posts
love the channel, good to see another Aussie 105, sills and other sheet metal are readily available

Reactions: Home Built by J

·
Registered
742 Posts
Ciao Jeff,

All the best with your 105 project.
I’d suggest that you research on the forum via the ‘search key’ before tackling any job as you’ve made bloody hard work in extracting the engine as you could have remove it with the gearbox and tail shaft all as one unit!

Just FYI this is how they were installed at factory. Note that raising the arse of the 105 during this process makes it even easier.....

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ciao Jeff,

All the best with your 105 project.
I’d suggest that you research on the forum via the ‘search key’ before tackling any job as you’ve made bloody hard work in extracting the engine as you could have remove it with the gearbox and tail shaft all as one unit!

Just FYI this is how they were installed at factory. Note that raising the arse of the 105 during this process makes it even easier.....
I did read about it afterwards, but I stupidly thought it would be such a simple job, that I wouldn't have any issues. I won't make that mistake again (actually I probably will because I am too thick to learn ;) ).

·
Registered
938 Posts
hi Jeff,

sketchl and I are both in sydney if you need to chat, look up Sergio's (sketchl's ) build on fitting a twin spark.

cheers Ian

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks mate. I actually also live about 200m from Tim who runs Zoo Autocraft (technically I am not in Sydney, I am in Bowral), and basically all he has done for many years is do high end 105 restorations. I will be using him for a whole lot of assistance, and as a side benefit he always has 5 or 6 105's at different stages of resto to get me along the way.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Have to subscribe to this thread. You had me laughing so hard at your newbie mistakes , I felt so sorry for you I was talking to the screen telling you what to do next. :laugh2: You will learn a lot and you will come to love these cars. Have you driven one in anger? Regards John.

·
Registered
938 Posts
thought the videos looked a bit rural for Sydney, Tim's a great guy and always good to visit his workshop.

cheers

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Really enjoy your channel! I have been subscribed for more than a year and it was a great surprise when you started your video on the Gtv. This forum is a great source of information and there are many knowledgable members. This is the best forum to ask questions and do research. Your project is going to turn out great. I know you are trying to decide on an engine swap and I am excited to see what your choice will be. (2.0 TS?)

have a great day!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have to subscribe to this thread. You had me laughing so hard at your newbie mistakes , I felt so sorry for you I was talking to the screen telling you what to do next. :laugh2: You will learn a lot and you will come to love these cars. Have you driven one in anger? Regards John.
I have only driven one and it was not a huge amount of driving. I didn't expect fast, but at least this one was MUCH slower than I expected. Still a great little car, but I decided that for mine I want a little bit more go.

Here is the vid I shot back when I drove it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Loving the show

I did read about it afterwards, but I stupidly thought it would be such a simple job, that I wouldn't have any issues. I won't make that mistake again (actually I probably will because I am too thick to learn ;) ).
On this note, its no bad thing to see someone having to work things out and having a bit of a fight with something.....its instructive in a 'don't do what I did' kind of way.
I learned a lot after id struggled with something, and made what should have been a quick job into an ordeal! :)

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have only driven one and it was not a huge amount of driving. I didn't expect fast, but at least this one was MUCH slower than I expected. Still a great little car, but I decided that for mine I want a little bit more go.

Here is the vid I shot back when I drove it.

https://youtu.be/NL1A_4ki78k
Hi again mate, in your drive your big mistake is in the video at about 7.06, you say (I'LL SLOW DOWN HERE). Have you seen the clip of the Alfahoilcs GTA-R chase a Porsche around the Nurburgring?.
Alfaholics 216BHP GTA-R Chasing Porsche 911 GT3 RS, 8m15s official BTG laptime Here is a pic of mine, and the shape appeals to such a broad spectrum of people. I've heard a young teenage girl, say to her father (pointing to my car) I want one of them, to having a, bad *** tough looking fellow, on a big Harley, pull up next to me at a red light and say, cool looking car mate . And I say thanks mate, and hope he doesn't ask me to stop so he can have a test drive :surprise:

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Loving the show

On this note, its no bad thing to see someone having to work things out and having a bit of a fight with something.....its instructive in a 'don't do what I did' kind of way.
I learned a lot after id struggled with something, and made what should have been a quick job into an ordeal! :)
Thanks mate. I have a habit of making things difficult for myself, but I am pig headed enough to keep going which is what we all need to be if we are going to tackle a big project.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi again mate, in your drive your big mistake is in the video at about 7.06, you say (I'LL SLOW DOWN HERE). Have you seen the clip of the Alfahoilcs GTA-R chase a Porsche around the Nurburgring?.
Alfaholics 216BHP GTA-R Chasing Porsche 911 GT3 RS, 8m15s official BTG laptime Here is a pic of mine, and the shape appeals to such a broad spectrum of people. I've heard a young teenage girl, say to her father (pointing to my car) I want one of them, to having a, bad *** tough looking fellow, on a big Harley, pull up next to me at a red light and say, cool looking car mate . And I say thanks mate, and hope he doesn't ask me to stop so he can have a test drive :surprise:
A 216BHP GTA-R would be a weapon. I have lost count of the amount of times I have watched the Chris Harris GTA-R video. My drive was short and in someone elses car so I wasn't going to push it to the limit in the slightest. It may also not have been running as well as it should, but either way, mine should hopefully have a couple (hundred ;) ), more hp :grin2:

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Agreed. I tend to have to fight against my "f*** it up and only then resort to reading the manual" approach sometimes :)

Heres my resto thread so far, if its of any use to you
I am half way through your thread. Amazing work, particularly to tackle something that far gone. My hat is off to you.

Reactions: BigMart
1 - 20 of 82 Posts