Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blasted my shells and found lots of holes in the floor pans i gather some are screw holes for things mounted underneath like brake and clutch cover and brake unions.

The large holes with large rubber grommets near front jacking points concern me what are they for? I noticed on replacement floor pans the holes are not present so can i weld them up to reinforce the front jacking points?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
The large holes with large rubber grommets near front jacking points concern me what are they for? I noticed on replacement floor pans the holes are not present so can i weld them up to reinforce the front jacking points?
The lore is that when the factory dipped the bodies in primer/undercoating, those holes allowed the excess to run out. Unless you plan to send your body back to Bertone for that treatment (just kidding) then no, you don't need the holes. I doubt welding them up will reinforce much, but it will eliminate a common place for rust to begin.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those drain holes seem excessive my plan is to weld in 1.5mm thick steel disc to plug the holes and reinforce the front jack points. The rear holes under the rear seats i may leave alone as its not structural.

·
Administrator
12,590 Posts
Those drain holes seem excessive my plan is to weld in 1.5mm thick steel disc to plug the holes and reinforce the front jack points. The rear holes under the rear seats i may leave alone as its not structural.
1.5mm thick!! Heck ... solid stuff.

By the way those holes are also drain holes for when the car gets wet inside ...
Pete

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
By the way those holes are also drain holes for when the car gets wet inside ...
Probably true and a feature that might be used on spiders.

The problem is that the rubber plugs don't fit that tightly - especially after the edges of the hole begin to rust - so when you drive through puddles the hole-plug system admits water.

So unless you have a spider, live in a rainy climate (which I sure don't!), and are prone to leaving your top down outdoors, I recommend eliminating those holes when doing a restoration.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Personally I have never had any rust issues around these holes on both my Spider and GTV. But I think it will be necessary to renew the plugs once they get old and stiff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts