Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruising along in the rain with the windows up and the air conditioner on, my Series 4 hit bottom on a lump in the pavement (I do have a sump guard). Almost right away, the air coming out of the a/c turned warm. Anyone have any idea what happened? Many thanks, as always, David

·
Registered
612 Posts
belt fell off?

·
Administrator
16,626 Posts
Anyone have any idea what happened?
My guess is that the A/C stopped working... (hey, if you're gonna give us the straight lines...)

What have you checked thus far? A/C belt present? Fuses intact? Electrical connections connected?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hit bottom then no A/C...

If the usual suspects check out OK (fuse, belt) check the ground wires.
They are black wires that are supposed to be connected to the transmission (metal dome that houses the shifter's vertical part ? I'm not sure, it's been a while) on the passenger side. You'll have to remove the vertical side panel (carpet)that extends in front of the center console to take a look. It's the panel that would be located just left of the passenger's left leg/foot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
get rid of the pan guard, it does nothing but cause problems. i used to have one on my '91 spider and hit bottom all the time here in nyc. i would have to replace it every year because it would hit so often. when i bought my '94, i was told not to put one on. it's been 6 years and never have hit and never had a problem. much better experience!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the Spider to an a/c shop and they found that the compressor is shot. For a couple of weeks, the compressor was squeeling, but I assumed it was justs the belt making noise. The thump must have jarred it right over the edge. As for the sump guard, I have "performance" springs which make the car sit lower than stock. Combined with our very crappy roads, I'm afraid my oil sump wouldn't last a week without protection. I know it reduces the ground clearance, but I think the tradeoff is probably worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts