Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was driving from San Diego to Seattle in my 1986 Alfa spider, when I was unable to avoid a rock which was in the middle of the road at night. Since it was to late to avoid it when I saw it, I tried to run it over in the center of the car. As I went over it, there was a scratching noise as it hit the bottom of the car. I pulled over and checked the bottom of the car, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, however my handbrake cable was dangling a little lower than normal and indeed my handbrake was stuck. Everything else in the car seemed fine except that the exhaust seems to rattle a little more than usual. I now made it to seattle and i was wondering what sort of things I should check now that I have time. I am 20 years old, this is my first alfa, i don't have a lot of experience working with cars (although I have a little bit and some technical common sense), but i would like to try and do this myself as repair shops are beginning to stretch my budget beyond its limits.

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Probably hit the oil pan or the oil pan guard if you have one, its the lowest point on the car.

If you dont find a pool of oil under the car tomorrow, you got lucky and probably only broke a few fins.

20 years old and an Alfa. Lucky guy.

Vin

·
Super Moderator
10,395 Posts
i don't have a lot of experience working with cars (although I have a little bit and some technical common sense).
nicco:

Without photos, there isn't much we can advise you. The rock could have hit anything - we can't guess what got damaged, and what didn't.

As Vintre wrote, the worst case scenario would be fracturing the aluminum oil sump. Unless there's a puddle of oil under the engine, you probably dodged that bullet. Otherwise, crawl under the car, see what looks dented up, and either report back, or just fix it as best you can.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Oil sump, exhaust & e brake are pretty much down the center. Did you feel the car lift up or jump as you went over the rock or did it just bounce around under the car? Grab a flash light and snap a few pics, we can then assess what doesn't look right under there.

Glad toy are ok and made it to Seattle safe!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts