Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weigh in with your 24V mileage if its high! I'm doing my financial plan and wondering how long I can reasonably keep my LS alive!
Im at 144 K miles and thinking--- I got 220K out of my Honda CRX-- anyone close to 200?:

thanks

·
Premium Member
26,815 Posts
Bob keep'em going. I don't have a 24v but have 93L with 176k, two 91Bs with 190and 150K. Our 96 Jeep GC SUV has 214K and I hope to beat that record with my Originale 91B.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I got close to 200K on my car, but again its a 12V motor. I think the 24V motors live longer, so long as the timing belt and tensioner situation is kept in order.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Like most of the above, I have only 12V cars. Our '93L with 173k is going strong, and we have other engines up to 150k with no signs of weakening. (one engine has only about 8k since overhaul last April).

How is the oil pressure in your LS? That might be an indication. I've also heard of cams losing lobes, and you might consider measuring oil pressure, compression, and examining the cams if you're wondering about $ outlay in calendar 2008. I've heard of some auto trannies going sour about 150k miles (our '91L is one of them) but also of them being handled well and getting 200k+ from them.

Michael

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
140,000, pending re-assembly.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My Q4 has now done 370.000km (230.000 miles) and no major work has been done to the engine:) It's still my daily driver and I drive app. 80miles to and from work. A timing belt change and new spark plugs are due in the near future. So far, so good...

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
My Q4 has now done 370.000km (230.000 miles) and no major work has been done to the engine:) It's still my daily driver and I drive app. 80miles to and from work. A timing belt change and new spark plugs are due in the near future. So far, so good...
Allan that makes me feel good about my recent Q4 purchase. I am at about 80000km to date. Any other major work that you have had done to it like the clutch, trans, suspension?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
highest mileage 24V

Gruppo

I'm happy to hear about the V24 longevity;)
My 94' 164 LS just has 107,000 miles.
Great car, but I can't keep the revs down: 4000 rpm in 5th gear = wow.
With my Giulia 4000rpm in 5th is just a paltry 70MPH!
Frank La Sala, CT
59' Giulietta Sprint
60' Giulietta Spider
65' Giulia Spider
94' 164 LS

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
There was a black Q in Las Vegas a number of years ago that did not sell on ebay with 425,000 miles on it. Not original engine, but at close to half a million I cant blame them!
The S i just sold is at 340,000 miles. Sadly New England is a bit harder on cars than The Vegas is.:(

·
Registered
423 Posts
I bought the Q4 when it had 250kkm on the clock. Clutch was replaced at 285kkm (11hours labour, engine out) and struts was replaced with originals around 300kkm. 1st and 2nd gear are a bit worn, but I have a brand new gearbox in stock. Hydraulic pipes for the 4WD have been replaced with brake hoses. Now I just need to find the tester for the 4WD...

I'm sure that regular use and long drives is helping in getting a high mileage. By the way, I have a receipt showing timing belt change after 100kkm. I won't stretch it that far!

And definitely great to see so many high mileage Alfas :D

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The 24v's are bullet proof. I just saw one with 250k miles, and it was original owner!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
My 1995 24v has 104k miles on the clock and was running really well until an oild change blew out some seals and led to a not cheap chain of events. To be fair it was an unlikely chain of events and I believe (hope) all is still very sound. The oil leak into the spark plug wells on the rear bank may have blown/damaged the ignition packs (am about to test this by swapping them with the fronts) and the exhaust is not blowing but falling to pieces, bit by bit - blew our the rear box a couple of months back, the central mount had to be welded up a month before and I can now see the outer skin of the flexi pipes hanging down. Think the exhaust is the reason for the vibration/harsh/loud sound above 4000 rpm and can't complain as it has lasted 12 years and over 100k.
As as point of note, despite all that and an uneven idle, the car does still perform on par with a healthy 24v, so can't be all bad :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts