Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some information on a starter for GTV6's. We have installed a 1994 164LS 3.0L 24V into an 82 GTV6.

The new engine is stock except for GTA cams and 44MM intake runners. We also did all the necessary modifications to correctly fit the motor and have a custom plen. We hope the engine has 270HP at the flywheel.

The current starter drags and does not turn fast enough to start the engine. Also the large green wiring from the Starter to the firewall becomes extremely hot when cranking over the engine. If we push start the Alfa it will start up but will not idle.

We think we have a new solinoid and this maybe the problem but we did not install this yet. Before we do this is there a High Performance Starter that we can use besides the stock one? We think that we have a 164 stock starter setup. We think that maybe because of the modifications that were done to the engine the stock starter is not strong enough. What have other done in to their 24V??

Thank you very much for any and all suggestions.:)

·
Registered
203 Posts
What definitly will help here is to solder the thick green wire `s crimps..These things are 20 odd years old,have serious resistance at the joints and will sap your battery..If your lucky,it wont give you serious burns when you touch the junction.
If at a later stage you pull the engine,convert ti to use the new generation reduction starter..
Im sure by simply soldering the ends things will improve a lot..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just to answer some of your questions here,,the stock starter will turn over a 24v 3.7l no problem..Make sure th engine is earthed to chassis,preferably batt neg.and solder that crimp properly,lots of heat,let the solder flow freely.You might have to use some flux as the copper cable will be tarnished after all these years..If you solenoid clicks in,its good.Then the problem will not be the solenoid.
Remember these old starters get hot pretty quickly if you lay on them for a while..they can take punishment though.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi Barry,

When you refer to soldering the green wire. I just want to make sure I understand this. This is the green wire from the firewall that hooks up to the starter. This green wire is also bolted in place on the firewall to another thick wire that appears to go to the battery. You suggest that I solder these wires together on the firewall to improve the connection??

I am also assuming that getting a HP starter is not necessary and also no after market part is available. What we are experiencing is not getting enough power to the starter to have it crank correctly??

Thanks again for helping us think this through.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sorry for the delay here...No,not the 2 wires where they bolt together..
But the lug thats crimped onto the green wire..You will see that its a basic crimp and after many years its really not got good continuity anymore.
So simply solder the lug to the green wire.You will be surprised at the result.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Chuck, these are all good suggestions however, change the starter solenoid out with the new rebuilt one that I sent down to you - your old one is bad!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Barry,

I don't understand south african so I hope its nothing bad. We will do this soon and thanks to everyone for their suggestions. We really appreciate the help.:)

·
Registered
203 Posts
LOL!!!!..Sorry,I said "Good morning "with which John greeted back saying he had sent me an e-mail regarding plenum's..I responded saying I had not received it yet..

More-Morrow-abbreviation for "Gooie more"-Good morning,shortened to "morning",a greeting..

Stick around,you`ll be fluent shortly..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts