Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone installed a HP radiator? new radiators (on ebay) are nearly 400 bucks and i really dont want to spend that..

thanks

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
has anyone installed a HP radiator? new radiators (on ebay) are nearly 400 bucks and i really dont want to spend that..

thanks
I would not trust ebay radiators, if you want a good radiator see the ones I have on my site. The best you can get. Extremely well made and work wonders for these cars. All materials and workmanship done here in USA. No chinese made anything.

Jason

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Buy an LS radiator from Jason and put it in your L, it's a bigger radiator and WILL FIT.

Also, you shouldn't worry if the car runs close to 200F. I used to worry, saying that Alfas run hot. Actually other cars run hot too, but their gauges are dishonest.

The only problem with the Alfa is the fan is a little weak or by now VERY OLD and about to fail.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Definitely stick with oem or, if you can wait a few weeks to have one built, the aluminum radiators that Jason offers.

I ordered one from elsewhere simply because it was a lot closer so I would have it next day. Even though it is a reputable aftermarket unit, it does not fit properly. It still cost $450.00. Now I am going to have to likely deal with the hassle of returning it or doing some half-*** modification.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it gets well above 200. my car is a 92L. an LS will fit?? is it double or single pass?

·
Premium Member
27,377 Posts
it gets well above 200. my car is a 92L. an LS will fit?? is it double or single pass?
Yes but it is not plug and play. Unless you have a really late model S with heater return hose going over bsck of rear head, you need a GTV6 or Milano type lower hose metal tee fitting and different hose set up on bottom as outlet is on right side same as top hose on 24v radiator. You need tee fitting to route heater return hose from bottom of coolant tank back to lower radiator outlet on early 164B/L/S models. Most of use have these earlier cars pre 92-93.

Also you need to extend wires for thermal temp switch as it is on right side too.

I have one in my 91 164L.

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
Yes, with a slight hose mod. No big deal though. I have one on mine. Works great.

·
Premium Member
27,377 Posts
Yes, with a slight hose mod. No big deal though. I have one on mine. Works great.
Jason has a later 164 model wider lower radiator support from a late 12v or 24v model so 24v lower mounting pegs drop right into that sub frame radiator lower mount (rail).

I don't have that 60579057 rail so I had to make me a trick peg for drivers side of radiator to drop in my shorter 12v 60568353 rail. Also being A/T model I had to trim around lower left ide peg of 24v rad to clear A/T cooling fan in addition to replumbing right side with GTV6/Milano 60533535 tee fitting.

I had to cut originale 12v lower hose to insert GTV6 tee fittling and add a length of 3/4" hose and splice to hose from coolant tank tee hose.

Nothing is impossible but some imagination and spare parts required to install 24v rad in a 12v 164.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/134531-installing-24v-radiator-12v-164-a.html

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
Yup your right. I am on vacation and not thinking too clearly right now. The lower rail is one thing you need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts