Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This post is intended to determine what level of interest there would be out there for high flow / performance metallic Magnaflow converters for either or both '82 to '89 spiders and for '75 to '81 spiders.

These would be bolt-on with flanges, direct-fit catalytic converters; made with stainless steel tubing and mandrel bends.

The metallic converter itself would provide a good compromise between high flow to meet performance objectives and effective emissions reduction to pass smog checks.

Current ceramic substrate Magnaflow cats provide flow rates in the range of 400 plus cfm (cubic feet per minute); new Magnaflow metallic substrate cats reach a range above 600 cfm.

Considering that flow rates of high performance alfa nord engines reach about 125 cfm per cylinder (see Jim K.; Sperry 5; Dan Marvin; Schwitters; .....); that is about 500 cfm with all cylinders combined.

So, if you would be interested in either of these two products; please voice your comments here.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The 82 to 89 Spiders have cats that have an integral down pipe as well as some exit piping. When you mean direct fit, are you talking the whole Monty? This is where the cost goes up when compared to just a flanged cat. I would think that a kit to reuse say the down pipe, to be retrofitted easily by welding would make the economics better. Just my thoughts...

Best regards, Elio

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 82 to 89 Spiders have cats that have an integral down pipe as well as some exit piping. When you mean direct fit, are you talking the whole Monty? This is where the cost goes up when compared to just a flanged cat. I would think that a kit to reuse say the down pipe, to be retrofitted easily by welding would make the economics better. Just my thoughts...

Best regards, Elio
Elio

Yes, direct-fit includes everything from flange to flange; in this case with stainless steel tubing, mandel bends and a metallic catalytic converter.

In many cases the down pipes or other sections of the cat are rusted out; and, if not, a universal cat from a muffler shop can do the job for someone that is looking for a smog test pass.

However, if you are looking for a bolt-on high performance stainless part, there are no real alternatives available - today.

:)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I use headers on my series 3 Spiders, and these have all the tubing down to th entry point of the cat. (Centerline has these type of headers.) Hence, I use a stand alone cat that has flanges on both sides. My cats are old, and were made by Shankle (now Alfa Ricambi). I would be seriously interested in a cat that has a high flow and is suited for the flow of spent gases from a Sperry Stage V head, with 12 mm cams going through headers.

Best regards,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts