Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some information on a starter for GTV6's. We have installed a 1994 164LS 3.0L 24V into an 82 GTV6.

The new engine is stock except for GTA cams and 44MM intake runners. We also did all the necessary modifications to correctly fit the motor and have a custom plen. We hope the engine has 270HP at the flywheel.

The current starter drags and does not turn fast enough to start the engine. Also the large green wiring from the Starter to the firewall becomes extremely hot when cranking over the engine. If we push start the Alfa it will start up but will not idle.

We think we have a new solinoid and this maybe the problem but we did not install this yet. Before we do this is there a High Performance Starter that we can use besides the stock one? We think that we have a 164 stock starter setup. We think that maybe because of the modifications that were done to the engine the stock starter is not strong enough. What have other done in to their 24V??

Thank you very much for any and all suggestions.

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
Correctly hooked up 164 starter should spin even a modified engine correctly.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what we thought too but the starter is dragging and will not start up consistantly. Do you know of a HP starter? Maybe its just the solinoid again but JJ played with this already and before we change this again we are just researching our options.

We think the starter is set up properly. Should not be any different than an American Car set up???

Any additional help is appreciated since we want to drive the Alfa so bad.

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
Sounds like you need bench test on starter under load to verify it's condition.

I do not know of a HP starter. Are you sure you have adapted a 24v 3 bolt starter correctly to a 2 bolt GTV6 bellhousing and are in perfect alignment with flywheel teeth?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope that the starter is correct. The engine was done by JJ at Glenwood motors so I am pretty sure that this was done correctly.

The Alfa will start up sometimes currently but is not consistant. It acts like the battery is dead eventhough the battery is brand new and fully charged. Barry suggests I solder the green starter wires together and Matts thinks I should add on a relay for more power.

The starter has been an issue since we first installed the engine but I feel that it is converted properly since we paid good money to have this done. I guess we should buy another new starter and install this again.

How would one know if we adapted a 24v 3 bolt starter correctly to a 2 bolt gtv6 bellhousing and are in perfect alignment with Flywheel teeth.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Chuck, change the solenoid out already - it will be 100% after that! That is a brand new rebuilt starter, but the guys in Oakland ****ed up the solenoid wiring (after I accidentally cracked the housing on the 1st one!)

Change the solenoid only and all related to the start-issue will be fine!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts